Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

minoxii

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by minoxii

  1. This idea had crossed my mind - how does the good bacteria form if the ammonia is getting stripped AND a new pad is being constantly replaced. Will go back to just water changes. Thank you Caryl for your detailed response. Such a chore sometimes when there are so many varying views as with anything but subtle differences can have profound changes. Based on what I know now and the general consensus of cycling the advice from HFF was terrible :E
  2. p.s this perhaps should be moved to Freshwater? Apologies if so, wasn't sure which sub forum to post in
  3. Hey team, Recently got my first aquarium which has kick started a habit? passion? hobbie? obsession? beyond my control haha. Currently sporting a 25L Fluvel Chi tank. I cycled it for a week, before adding 2x Norman Lampeyes as per HFF advice, and a week later popped in 3 guppies as per HFF advice - but bad idea. Ammonia spiked far too high (up too 1.0ppm) and I ended up buying Zeopads swapping every 4-5 days and doing 50% water changes every other day. I have returned the 3 guppies (on Saturday) as i've had the tank 4 weeks yesterday, and it still has not established itself. I was going to let the tank sit with water changes every other day with just the 2x lampeyes until its fully cycled as based on what ive learnt/read/understood it'll cycle quicker with less waste production. Now Saturday after I returned the guppies and came home, I noticed a tiny snail then looked further - found 4 tiny snails. Seems one of the plants purchased have brought friends. Based on what ive read these are a pest, and my best option based on the size of the tank is 1 or 2 dwarf chain loaches to eat them BUT I am worried about the slightly raised ammonia levels. Highest I let it get was 0.5ppm after getting a test kit with the 5 fishies.. currently sitting just under 0.25ppm but closest to that measure. Wait for tank to cycle and risk snails spreading? or put in a loach or two to eliminate snails risking the slightly raised ammonia levels even though its at the low end? Much appreciated

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.