New Tank - Hasn't cycled, a little ammonia.. now snails.

minoxii

Hey team,

Recently got my first aquarium which has kick started a habit? passion? hobbie? obsession? beyond my control haha. Currently sporting a 25L Fluvel Chi tank.
I cycled it for a week, before adding 2x Norman Lampeyes as per HFF advice, and a week later popped in 3 guppies as per HFF advice - but bad idea. Ammonia spiked far too high (up too 1.0ppm) and I ended up buying Zeopads swapping every 4-5 days and doing 50% water changes every other day.

I have returned the 3 guppies (on Saturday) as i've had the tank 4 weeks yesterday, and it still has not established itself. I was going to let the tank sit with water changes every other day with just the 2x lampeyes until its fully cycled as based on what ive learnt/read/understood it'll cycle quicker with less waste production.

Now Saturday after I returned the guppies and came home, I noticed a tiny snail then looked further - found 4 tiny snails. Seems one of the plants purchased have brought friends.

Based on what ive read these are a pest, and my best option based on the size of the tank is 1 or 2 dwarf chain loaches to eat them BUT I am worried about the slightly raised ammonia levels. Highest I let it get was 0.5ppm after getting a test kit with the 5 fishies.. currently sitting just under 0.25ppm but closest to that measure.

Wait for tank to cycle and risk snails spreading? or put in a loach or two to eliminate snails risking the slightly raised ammonia levels even though its at the low end? 

Much appreciated 

Edited by minoxii

A 25L Fluvel Chi tank is not very large and has a small surface area so fish stocking levels need to be kept low.

What did you do when you say you "cycled it for a week'? if you meant you filled the tank with water, added plants, turned the heater on, then left it for a week, that is not cycling.

2 fish of lampeye size would be fine if you then left them for a month. This would have given the filter time to start cycling. At the end of the month, assuming your ammonia levels were negligible, you could then add 3 guppies. To add them after only a week was too many fish in too little water too quickly, which is why you had the ammonia spike.

I do not know anything about zeopads so just looked them up. It says they absorb ammonia. Personally, I would have just done daily water changes until levels dropped.

It is good you returned the guppies. The tank should cycle nicely with the 2 lampeyes in it. 

A few snails help keep the tank clean. Too many though become a pest. If you do not want them, squish them against the side of the aquarium, the fish will eat the remains.

Dwarf chain loaches are not suitable for a tank your size plus they need a mature aquarium.

The ammonia levels will be fine if you do not let them get any higher than stated (if they start to rise further, do extra water changes). I know you are supposed to have 0 ammonia but I have never yet had a test result that showed 0, even on a tank just filled with water and nothing added. 0.25ppm is as low as I have managed but it could be my eyesight that is the problem.

Google images for aquarium cycling and see what you should expect over the first few weeks.

The tank will not cycle if you strip the ammonia with zeopads as there will be no ammonia to feed the bacteria you are trying to establish.

This idea had crossed my mind - how does the good bacteria form if the ammonia is getting stripped AND a new pad is being constantly replaced. Will go back to just water changes.

Thank you Caryl for your detailed response.
Such a chore sometimes when there are so many varying views as with anything but subtle differences can have profound changes.

Based on what I know now and the 
general consensus of cycling the advice from HFF was terrible :E