Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Shrimp colours

Featured Replies

Just wondering what causes shrimp to change colour. When i catch shrimp theyre always clear but ive had about six go brown one go gold and one go translucent pink (but he got eaten).

Is it from their diet e.g. the pink one might have eaten a lot of heart?

The ones I've played around with went more pink with heat.

I recall reading the blueish ones were female too.

Not that I did very well with them...

pretty much to do with diet I think

Had a couple of bigger females go nearly completely black with gold bits when I had an outbreak of black hair algae - looked awesome!

What Dr A said about pink - normally cause they have been slightly cooked by the temp change. If it doesn't kill them they will go back to clear over time

I've only seen clear ones, when they mysteriously jumped on me while I was fishing. I'm curious to see photos of these coloured ones.

took this photo mainly for the eggs, the colouring was darker if you looked more from the top.

as you can see, the 'colour' is just deposits in the shell, with the shrimp being mostly clear still. the gold bits were down the 'nose' and at the joins of the tail segments. Got a bit darker than this, but not much.

photo_zps721bae59.jpg

going back to what DR A said about females - In my experience it is normally the bigger ones (therefore probably female) that are more likely to get some pigmentation like this. Being older could mean more time to accumulate pigment between sheds?

going back to what DR A said about females - In my experience it is normally the bigger ones (therefore probably female) that are more likely to get some pigmentation like this. Being older could mean more time to accumulate pigment between sheds?

I would tend to agree with that. One of my females is quite gold/brown

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.