New Tank Project

GZ_Loach

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you saw this in person you'd realise that a planted tank would spoil the background.

Mmm... Not necessarily. You could create some planted islands, a nymphea with a bush of several species around, etc.

But ok : mineral tank is nice too, especially the beautiful one you got in your head.

"West system" epoxy resin, used about 8.8 L, it comes in various sizes - the more you get the cheaper it is. For a 4.4L kit it cost $120 I then added a black pigment to darken the resin.

After about 3 coats on the front I sprinkled on 20 KGs of black silica sand ($54) and then ate the poly away with acetone, needed about 6 - 8 L (about $60 total)

and for a few reinforcing coats on the back I mixed in a filling powder ($10) to stop the mixture thinning out before it set.

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on the moss/wood, I might move it to the right and remove the bit with the windelov on it (only in there because i don't want to throw it away) When thats sorted out I'll repostion the sagg a bit and then get it ready for some nice rocks and convert it to an african tank with twisted val for plants and maybe one piece of bog wood (on the far right)

sam0213u.jpg

sam0215c.jpg

sam0216wf.jpg

sam0221i.jpg

sam0225e.jpg

sam0233a.jpg

sam0266cx.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...