Finding Nemo

Shilo

Just watched the Holmes segment on the movie Finding Nemo and although he mentioned the $ of clown fish and the fact that it could survive up to 30 years, not once did he say anything about the care needed for aquarium fish.

With the demand for clown fish about to take off once the movie hits our screens, I can see a lot of them brought up by people who have no idea about keeping saltwater (or anywater) fish.

Maybe I am just being cynical and the movie will increase the popularity of aquariums, but somehow I think clown fish will be going cheap next year when the movie is a forgotten memory and the demands of an aquarium are a recent one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without wanting to be cynical, I have always thought about starting a marine tank and a clown fish would be wonderful. The point being that if in a year or so there are cheap setups being sold off I would be a happy man

Mark

Although I do feel sorry for the fish that are neglected and kittens, puppies, turtles, etc.

There was a big stink when the film came out in the US because they had a representative from Tetra give a talk on morning TV about keeping these fish. She said it was easy, recommended the wrong sized tank, never mentioned cycling, had a clownfish in a tank with unsuitable tankmates, said they were mostly farm raised and generally got it all wrong. Many were calling for a boycott of Tetra. I don't know what happened with it all and what effect it had.

Petshops over there were selling hundreds of the poor clownfishes. Bet they are all dead now!

Perhaps we should all visit as many pet shops as possible and ask them to make sure prospective owners know about the proper care of these fish before buying.

I am considering contacting the local papers and asking them to do an article about hobbyists' concerns re the keeping of these fish by newcomers to the hobby.

I just remembered something else he said that may be encouraging. Just about every LFS that stock marine have clown fish yet Holmes stated that they had tried many "sources" to get a clown fish for the program and only managed to get one from a Massey pet store. Maybe the other LFS's that they tried wouldn't lend them one because they realised that the publicity will result in fish going to bad homes?

If so then they would probably be screening potential buyers. I still have faith that the majority of LFS's are in the business for their love of animals rather then a quick buck. After the Ninja Turtle craze that Dennis reminded us of, they might be a bit more wary this time round.

The onus is on the shops to look after their stock before and after a sale. Educating the public may reach a few people, but educating fish stores will reach all potential buyers. Clown fish aren't a species you can just breed up to meet demand.

But then again "Hey look at that, there’s a straw just out of my reach!"

I believe clownfish are commecially farmed in many places. Florida for one. It's pretty much a lost cause trying to keep people who want something and can afford it from buying it no matter how unintelligent the decision. If people are stupid enough to let their kids push them into buying a pet without finding out what it needs, they're not going to listen to you. They'll probably say whatever they need to get rid of you and then ask the pet store employee, "Does it need to be kept in water?"

I seriously doubt the Nemo fad will be enough to cause a shortage of clowns in the wild. Maybe a supply shortfall for a short time here in NZ, but if there was much of one on a worldwide scale then it's probably over by now since it's been about 6 months? since the movie was released in larger areas.

I just caught a bit on Burke's Backyard about keeping clownfish. They interviewed a man with a lovely marine aquarium and asked him what it cost. He replied $6,000. They then asked if kids or beginners to the hobby, could keep a clownfish easily and he said no, then gave the reasons.

They went into detail about the different clownfishes and their relationship with different anemones.

They also said that in the film Nemo gets flushed down a toilet at some point and emphasised to kids that if they do this to a fish it will die.

The overall conclusion was that kids should go and watch the movie, or visit an aquarium to see clownfish but do not ask your parents to go and buy you one. :D

The most sensible item I have seen on the subject so far! Better than Holmes who merely said a clownfish will set you back $60. No mention of their requirements. :evil:

There is a good thread about NEMO on reefcentral.com - Covering all of these points (the thread is over a 1000 posts though). Also reefcentral has put a NEMO FAQ on the front of there page, for people surfing the net on how to setup an aquairum after seeing the film.

Most clowns are wild caught. NZ get tank raised Percula clowns, everything else comes from the wild. In the USA a lot of clowns are farmed, but not true for the most the rest of the world (cheaper to get wild caught ones).

The 'Morning Show' video can be found in the above thread. Its a real disgrace, also says that the blue tangs (regals tangs) are farmed, which is not true, the are wild caught from Hawai.

All in all though NEMO is a great film, so don't get to negitive on it. It may do more good than bad...

I don't think any of us are negative on the film itself, just the irresponsible people who are willing to sell real fish to little kids afterwards. :cry:

It has arrived in theatres here so I plan to see it (during school hours in the hope there aren't too many little kids present :lol: ) before the holidays start.

Definitly not negative on the film itself. I want to see it for the graphics as much as anything. 150 000 frames at 8hrs work per frame = a lot of effort has been put into it.

And yes as stated in my 1st post I think there is a good chance of aquariums becoming more popular. But when mum and dad go buy a Nemo for their child, I only hope the fish shops steer them in the direction of a goldfish or similar setup. Having "Nemo" die before the Visa bill is in the mail won't encourage anybody to get into aquariums.

Come on Caryl, grab a kid to take. That way you can carry on like a kid yourself and get away with it :D I promise not to throw any Jaffas! :wink:

Well, I am off to find Nemo this lunchtime. Want to see it before school holidays start and the theatre is full of noisy kids :lol:

Going to Subway for lunch then see the film with mum and dad, then meet up with friends for afternoon tea in a cafe in town. A nice way to spend a cold, wet (Yay! we NEED the rain) afternoon.

Boy some of us have a hard life! :lol:

I deserve some time off.

You've gotta go see this film! I loved it! Might even say it is better than Shrek. My mother now wants to know how we could be so cruel to keep fish in tanks :lol: My favourites in the film were the seagulls, turtles and Dory, the blue tang with the short term memory loss.