Pre-Cycling Tanks for Mbuna Cichlids

henry

Hi everyone,

Have been reading aboat setting up a Mbuna biotope type tank, prevailing thought seems to be that to avoid territorial aggression it is best to slightly overstock these tanks, and to add all (or as many as possible) tank inhabitants at once, and all the same size (ie juvenile).

Obviously this poses problems for allowing the tank to cycle properly.

Does anyone have any experience in establishing such a tank from scratch?

Some possible solutions I though of were:

1. Add artifical amonia gradually to tank over a 30 day period, monitoring Amonia, Nitrites and Nitrates daily, to allow bacteria to cultivate prior to stocking.

2. Cycle tank with a hardy fish such as goldfish, then remove goldifsh and increase temp / alter water parameters prior to stocking with Mbuna.

3. Run filters on an established tank for a month or two, then run on new tank for a week or so prior to stocking.

4. Make no attempt to cycle tank artifically, but carefully monitor all parameters daily and conduct daily water changes to slow down / draw out the cycle process.

If any one has succesfully carried out any of these methods, or has other thought, I would love to hear them.

Keep warm and dry everyone :wink: , Cheers, Henry.

you dont have to chuck them all in at once, they dont all need to be the same size either but that makes it easier, you can add them slowly but everytime you add some new fish take all the rocks out and re-arrange them to mix up the territories, so start off with the least aggresive ones, and build your tank up slowly.

I did it like this...

1. Fill 4ft tank with rocks and water. Start filtration

2. Add 4 goldfish about 5 - 8cm each

3. Leave in tank 4 - 6 weeks.

4. Add heaterstat (previously checked to make sure it is set at correct temperature

5. Once water has reached correct temperature, remove goldfish (to outside pond in this case, as it was summer)

6. Add lots of juvenile cichlids (all were about 4 - 6cm) all together

Thanks for your input everyone...

Only problem would be obtaining and getting rid of the goldies! Has anyone had any experience just hooking a filter onto an existing tank for a month or two before hooking onto new tank? Is this effective?

How is everyones mbuna tanks's going anyway?

i recken that you should put your new filters on an old tank thats been running for a while and maybe even put some noodles or other bio media into the new filter from the existing filter.

i dont think that adding old water helps that much, the bacteria that your after in your filters isnt a waterborn bacteria (it sits on things like gravel, filters and ornaments) therefore there wouldnt be jack all bacteria in the water, could be wrong tho someone else should know.

what kind of filter are you going to be using.

i would recomened that you get some aqua one cf range of canisters. i have a cf500 and a cf700 on my 230l mbuna tank. the filters are really quite, easy to restart after water changes, have lot of room for media and are cheap to buy. my water is crystal clear too.

heres a link to some for sale on trade me:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 513308.htm

that ones 1000lph and is only $130 and they have the filter media in them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to second the suggestion of moving rockwork around. I just got the last of my mbuna babies in, and wow did they have a rough reception. I hadn't realized just how staked out territory was until I saw the street brawl that went on last night. Today's project was a complete rework of the rocks, adding much more territory and breaking up line of sight.

I had it easy for cycling, my mbuna tank is a reworked Amazon. Added some shell to my canister filter, pulled out the driftwood and kept the gravel bed and cycled filter floss. Just add fishies as soon as water parameters had changed sufficiently, which was virtually overnight. :D

Good luck with your tank.