HELP!!!

2fishy

I have a customer who rang in and her axolotyl has got a marble stuck in its mouth, has been there for a week and it hasnt eaten anything since then.

I have told her to get the rest of the gravel and anything in the tank it can fit in its mouth out quicksmart.

How can she get the marble out of it mouth???

if she thinks its not going to get it out by itself im afraid shes going to have to do some 'emergency 'surgery'' :lol: in theory it should be able to get it out if its gone in but i know that there are exceptions to that one.

get her to find some powder free disposable gloves as this will cause less damage to the axie than her hands will. she will need to get someone to hold the axie in a shallow bowl of tank water, one hand around the back feet/tail and one under the belly- this is normally a grip i use if i have to pick up my axies but if another method is easier thats cool as long as it isnt going to crush the legs/damage the body and wont hurt the gills. axies can wiggle like nothing ive seen so it might be a bit of a struggle, im not sure how one would go about holding an axie head. if she cant get her fingers in its mouth to remove it i would suggest perhaps plastic blunt chopping sticks with some sort of grip thing (unsure to what you could make this out of, perhaps tie bits of plastic glove around it to give it a more grip on the marble?) and try and remove it. if she manages to get it out put it back in the tank and leave it be for a while, adding a bit of stresscoat etc might be a good idea also as the axies slime coat will be damaged a bit.

i will go post this on an axie site to see if they have any suggestions, if she cant get it out pm me and ill see if i can come over and help her out :)

I am the LFS :D but im not sure if any other lfs around here would know either? anyway sharn ill give her a call too see if shes willing to attempt to get the marble out herself, she seemed to wanna bring it into the shop and get me 2 do something about it!

if she wants to bring it in can i organise with u sharn to come in and asisst?

What about those little darts that kids have that have a sucker on them??

Might be able to withdraw it using that.

Methodoligy:-

Thumb and index finger around the throat,

rest of the fingers behind the front legs,

middle finger up under the throat, (stop the marble being pushed further down)

and use the right hand with the sucker.

Could also use a small scalpel and operate.

If they can have a leg chewed off and grow again, it would be no sweat for a little nick to repair itself.

Goodluck

Alan 104