electric yellows

smcoleman

hi guys was thinking of setting up a 3 foot tank to breed electric yellow this will be a new thing for me as ive only really breed livebeerers an my jags how man can i have in the tank an how many males to females all info wood be greatful

thanks steve (mad4fish)

I have 1 female and 3 males. She seems to have no trouble getting out of the way when she wants to but the males are always facing off to each other. A 4th male was killed recently. I have a pile of young ones growing up so hope to add more females once they are bigger. They are still a mouthful size at the moment.

Keep to one male and save a lot of aggro :wink:

I have no problems at all with the yellows I have 4 big males in the same tank they have no damage at all on them theres at least 3 bigger females as well and about 12 younger ones that are unsexable (from 4 different sources), the tanks 5ft 540 litres and has a heap of other fish in it too, the general consensus ive seen on cichlid-forum is not to bother with the ratios for yellows its not as critical as with the other africans.

Im going to seperate the best male and 3 females into their own 2 1/2 ft tank when I strip the tank to get all the other fish im selling out tomorrow.. They dont seem to be getting enough food to fatten up in the community tank its a bit of a feeding frenzy at dinner time..

Heres a photo of 3 of our biggest males scrapping the smaller one was trying to join in as well nothing ever comes of it though..

yellows1.jpg

Oh and good luck with the auction Steve :)

I dunno whatever you want too :) Lots of stuff does the job coral sand dolimite lime limestone, you can buy cichlid salt and use baking soda... A mate and I are going to make our own cichlid salt in bulk soon because we found how to do it on the net cheap as and its $21 for 350grms retail..

Check what pH they have been raised in. Mine were raised at a pH of 7.0 and are quite happy at that - and breeding. A lot less hassle if you do not have to fiddle with pH. Many use bird grit (like you get for chooks). Baking soda is too easy to get the dose wrong resulting in wild pH swings.

Firstly as Carly said, check what ph they are kept at first, might save shocking your new additions.

I use a mix of bicarb soda, epsom salts & sea salt, I suppose normal salt will do. Alot cheaper than buying Aquarium products.

Here's a useful link.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

See how your yellows go to, usually its the females that are the problems, they really bash each other. A holding female just wants a cave to safely sit in for when she is breeding. The better breeders{I am not one} here use bare tanks, so no agression.

Last paragrah gives you some more ideas too.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/hardness.php

Frenchy :D