Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pseudotropheus demasoni

Featured Replies

I saw these guys at Jansens late this afternoon and thought they would go really well in my lounge tank (about 100L) until I read their profile!

Has anybody kept these guys? I'd love to have a swarm of them in my lounge tank... Would it be best to stock with maybe 5 females & a sole male?

art_p_demasoni_01.jpg

Try this post :)http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/ps-dem ... 14576.html was only a week or so ago, we got 6 and they're in with babies in the rearing tank no problems so far but they are only small, someone (frenchy I think) mentioned in that other post about someone who kept them in a 2ft tank??

They do only stay small so maybe with a good filter like 10 of them and some target fish (maybe rainbows barbs or something like that they will be ok in your tank.. I dont think they're sexable at the size we got them at how big were the ones you saw and at what jansens?

  • Author

Mt Eden and they would've been maybe 2" long? I'll have to save my pennies 'cause they were just shy of $20 each! :o

2"? They whould be breedable at that size.. Damn ours were only 2cm from HFF mt roskill... Yeah we got 6 they're cool looking fish alright will look good with all the yellow we have in our tank.

  • Author

So if I get half a dozen and they'd be in a species tank, chances are I'll have some breeding happening? That'd be awesome for my first foray into the world of cichlids! :bounce:

Oh yeah I remember now that should be ok I guess.. I haven't ever kept these guys as adults so I guess it would be a thing to give a go and see if it works out... Im not a fan of a species only tank especially with africans as more fish spread the aggression... Maybe stick some electric yellows in as well but your tank is still a little on the small side..

The guy I know keeps 6 in a 2 footer, I believe they are 2 males & 4 females. He went for the small tank as its a case of if there isn't much room maybe they won't fight as much.

I went the other way, 4 foot tank heaps of rocks & caves with some electric yellows. I will take some pics when I think of it next. I had 12 at one stage, now down to 8, m/f ratio don't know.

One book I have read, keep in group of 6-10, aquarium should be 120litres, provide several large rocks to form caves & passageways. Can be kept with larger malawis of the haplochromis group provided they have sufficient refuge. Natural diet is algae on the rocks. feed spirulina flakes & algae wafers. Male will spawn in secluded area, brooding females can be kept with male without being overly harassed. My female holds up in on of the artifical logs out of harms way & she colours up so bright that she looks like the dominant male.{while holding} I have seen this at the breeders house too. Wonder if that is so other fish just se her colour & stay clear. :lol:

One book says 7cm, one says 9cm fully grown.

Frenchy :D

  • Author

Awesome I think I'll give these a go then!

Now I need to learn about their habitat setup! :bounce:

provide several large rocks to form caves & passageways.

My tank is fulled with lava rock, which has holes drilled into it. I have artifical logs & the like. So plenty of passageways & height /size in the lava rock which splits up the tank.

Frenchy :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.