sexing chocolate gouramis

suemack

can any one help - how do you tell what sex choc gouramis are ? Our LFS had 4 - I bought 2 of them thinking they would be fine in the tank together ! :lol: BUT was I ever wrong - the next day one was faded and hiding at the bottom - fished him out and put into another tank and later that day back to good colour and behaviour. Have tried to put them back tog but a no go. :cry: 5 months later - I now have one CG in one of my guppy tanks - none of the fry survive but the CG is very contented!

I know from when I kept them that sexing them can be a little difficult. Often for gouramis you hear about pointed vs rounded dorsal fins, this is difficult with chocolates as when their dorsals are down they all look pointed, it's only when they flare their dorsal that you can get a decent look and then it's still difficult.

The most reliable way IMO is to look for colour on the caudal (tail) fin. Usually males will have the top and bottom edges with some colour (red, brown, gold). In females the tail is usually colourless. It still all a bit subjective though - can be difficult with young/small or stressed specimens.

Also as you've found out they need plenty of cover and not too small a tank as while they're peaceful towards other fish they can be nasty toward each other. When I had mine they were in a heavily planted 3' tank and they went fine, some were even spawning (but they never kept the eggs long enough - she'd swallow them after only 3-4 days). Then I had an unforunate experience with an algaecide - it killed all the ambulia in the tank, which ment pretty well all the cover disappeared, then the chocolates proceeded to kill each other.

thanks Caryl and Rob - doesn't sound like there's a lot of hope of my 2 gouramis ever getting on - thought of taking one back but the 2 that I didn't buy eventually died at the LFS and they really are thriving in my tanks - possibly the combination of rain water, lots of plants, water changes and plenty of food (my babies) :roll: Natural population control I think it's called!