black ghost knife with an oscar?

A.PROPHECY

they will get bullied with an oscar unless its very placid IMO. BGK wouldnt stand up for themselves and a big fish whos feeling nasty is just going to keep on chasing :-? unsure of what they would be like with aros though. it seems like they (BGK) are quite placid fish except to ones they can fit in their mouths :lol:

some people use clear plastic piping for BGK hiding spots, apparently we cant see them when theyre in there :lol:

it seems like they (BGK) are quite placid fish except to ones they can fit in their mouths

mines even more placid than that.

i put 5 deformed guppy fry into the tank with him and he only ate 1. the rest are still swimming around his tank, and have been for nearly 2 months

• 4 months later...

I've been wondering myself what to put in with Black Ghost Knifefish... reading about various forums some of the species most suggested are: Oscar, Tyre Track Eel, Arowana, Pantodon Butterfly.

IMHO... & from my observation of Pantodon & BGK... I noticed a fair bit of splashing after the lights went out.

They were fine for a while then the Pantodon started hiding at feeding time suggesting the BGK was hassling more often (both fishes similar size) so I've removed the BGK to his own 4 foot tank where he now plays invisible fishie (think he likes it, its bigger & has more hidey holes).

So far as any of the other mentioned species... I'd figure they'd need to start together young for the best results... I know someone whos been keeping BGK with Arowana, Oscar, Pacu, Gold Saum, Large Pleco & a handfull of others as a community... so far as I know he hasn't had any problems with disputes.

The Gold Saum was one I'd had for a number of years & pretty agressive, hence partly why I parted with him... the tank I'm refering to is run by a relative newbie who seems to be doing ok with what I reacon is an unusual mix... (he didn't know how big Arowana get tho) in a 6x2x2 tank.

I suspect my BGK killed bristlenose in his tank he is still with a chinese algae eater & ignores it.

I'm wondering about how he'd go with Keyhole Cichlids which I had in a very mixed community years back.

I'd love to mix Gold Saum back in but they're too destructive for this tank & very unpeaceful.

The tank with BGK is approx 1200x400x400mm... hopefully well big enough for a while... has 2000 litres per hour out at one end in at other so theres a fair amount of current... I had no idea just how fast BGK can be untill recently, pretty quick.

I wont keep him with guppies as when he was with the Pantodon I added guppies & I reacon they got about half each.

One thing I did notice mentioned a lot about Knifefish generally was as they mature they can be aggressive toward each other & it was often suggested that one is better than several for this reason (plus I guess the size issue when mature).

Does anyone know how quick they mature to full size? I'm just after a rough idea.

At this stage I'll probably keep considering BGK & Keyhole Cichlids unless someone can suggest something better (had thought also Large Boesmani Rainbows might be ok for a while with him but they're better where they are really).

Suggestions for BGK tankmates... I'd rather not end up with species that are too destructive / get too big.

My BGK is very friendly (when not playing invisible fishie) & hand feeds, lets me rub his nose etc... he prefers low lighting & is out more when only a small light is on at one end of the tank, being very active helps with the hiding as he gets around a lot... I hadn't planned getting anything that gets so big but wouldn't want to part with BGK now I've got one... hes way too cool for that.

You'll see him from time to time if the'res lots of cover, but he will hide a lot, don't let that put you off... they're pretty awesome.

I'm figuring the best path could be to keep him with species that wont compete for hiding places, mine is about 6 inch currently.

my BGK is in with a bisher and thay get along fine hes also in with congo tetras and a butterfly fish.. all the fish stay away form each other and i have not seen any agression even after lights out ( can see tank from in bed).

you want to find fish that wont be in the same teritory or wont hog all the food unless u can target/ hand feed the BGK as they wont fight for food.

i personalty would not keep a BGK with Cichlids or an aro.

maybe try a bornio tiger fish or even a peacock eel..... i think as long as u have lots of room for the fish and none can fit in each others mouths and there is enough food you should be ok....

• 2 weeks later...

Not so sure about the guppies... I had BGK, Pantadon butterfly, Chinese algae eater, I suspected the BGK to be taking young guppies at night however they were there for the Pantadon.

New fish tomorrow.. :bounce: :D

2 young Discus, 12 Keyholes, etc... the idea was to try discus + large rainbow + angelfish + 20 corys + pantadon + white clouds + bristlenose together & put the keyhole cichlids in with the BGK.

Might put 5cm whiptails in the first tank or does anyone know if they're particularly fond of current?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

seriously thinking of adding larger bristlenose into the bgk, keyhole cichlid, algae eater & angel tank.

bgk although pretty peaceful is incredibly quick for food.

as to pics... i'd love to be able to get some that work but my camera isn't fast enough or the light is too low or both i suspect.

up to 4 community tanks now... (trying to make more room for white clouds coming through).

Ive got a clown knife with a lrgeish oscarand have no probs they race each othet to the food but never fight the only time I had prob is when I put a breeding pair of cons in-I know bad move thought with 1000l the would stay away from each other- as long as they have enough space and somewhere for the bgk to hide/rest without being disturbed they should be sweet,, would help if you knew if the O was aggressive b4 trying you luck though!