What sealant can i use to reseal my tank

Fishkeepa

I recently brought a 100L tank that needs a reseal in some areas. So im wondering - And this question has probably been asked many times before what can i use to seal it and whether i can put the new silicone over the old scraggy bits of silicone.

Is there anything that would readily available from hardware stores to do this?

Thanks eveyone

Best if you can remove as much of the old silicn as you can, but leave the silicon in between the glass joins. if the silicon in there has come loose you are best to remove the whole piece of glass and reglue it all. You can get away with not doing this but it is the best option.

You need to get the right type of silicon, there are two, acidic cure is the one you are looking for, often they have 'for aquarium use' written on them. Also make sure you get one that doesn't have mold inhibiter in it. The correct silicon has a very strong smell, and must be used in a well ventlated area.

If it needs resealing in several places as you say, strip it all down and rebuild the whole unit.

If the glue has gone in some areas, then the rest is not too far behind.

Use acetic cure silicon for any repairs or the rebuild.

Alan 104

I use Sellys because it has " suitable for aquaria" on the label and it is the cheapest. So long as you use one suitable for aquaria the only real difference is price and consistency. The latter is a matter of personal preference and is only relevent if you are going to make lots of tanks. I would agree with the previous advice about a rebuild. Clean off all the RTV you can and clean with meths. If the inside fillet is in a bad way the rest probably is as well.

im about to make my new tank in the next few days and want to make sure that i get the right silcone.

in tanks that i have made in the past i have used a natural cure. but from what people are saying on here it sounds like i should be using acidic cure.

i thought that the acidic cure would leech out contaminates into the tank water. am i rong?

The smell of the acid cure is acetic acid (vineger) and I have made hundreds of tanks and licked my fingers when smoothing out. I would think that if it is not toxic to me it is not toxic to fish. I also eat pickles.

If it says suitable for aquaria on the label it probably is.