need help with leeches!

fishboi

ok here is the problem i have a leach problem in my pond which i can only suspect are from some drift wood i got fro the beach as the only other thing i've added since the break out of leaches are plants bought from garden centres and i am sure they wont have leaches on their plants, would they??.

have no idea how to get rid of it. does anyone know a way that they have tried that worked or know of a way??

i am unable to go for the trial and error method that i usually do as this is an 8000L pond and any treatment would cost a bit. and empty the pond is not an option as i have no were to house 100 odd gold fish and its just a pond lining pond which means i would not be able to get in and scrub it anyway.

only thing i've tried is pond salt and all it did was killed some of my plants.

can anyone help me? thought and suggestions all welcome. thanks in advance.

It'll be from the garden center. If you get it from the beach that would have been in saltwater and anything on the driftwood would have died when put into freshwater.

Cause, you know...No pet shop or garden center EVER has any kind of pest of any description on their plants. Has never happened in recorded history...

I know meat is a tad costly these days, but I think that if you put a raw steak in there, you may have the leeches latch onto that.

Similar to snails and lettuce leaf method of catching snails.

Another method takes me back well over 50 years when we use to go frogging, and get them onto our legs, but remember to remove them using a lighted cigarette if you use this method.

No, they don't hurt.

Agree with Ira, gardencentre was where you got them I'd say too.

What sort of plant were they?

Next time, give the plants a salt or alum bath before putting them into your pond or tank.

Alan 104

Hmmm I was going to suggest salt but obviously you've tried that....

I don't think the meat idea would work because they aren't scavengers - they need live meat not dead stuff. They suck fresh, warm blood like.... yours for example!

I think Alan's second idea is the best - the legs! Wait until the water warms up a bit (brrrrr!) then wade into the pond and hang around for a while. When the leeches attach to your legs, stand out on your driveway or somewhere and sprinkle salt on them [the leeches. although you could salt your legs if you really want to.] They will immediately drop off [;)]and you can leave them for the birdies.

By the way, don't do this if you have any kind of blood clotting disorder because leeches will inject you with an anticoagulant and if you get too many and/or leave them on for too long you might find that the bleeding won't stop. :o

They also use a very gentle anaesthetic which is why it doesn't hurt at all when they attach or detach.

Good luck being a lettuce substitute! :lol:

and get them onto our legs, but remember to remove them using a lighted cigarette if you use this method.

No, they don't hurt.

i'll think i'll give that a miss as there a quit a bit of them in a reasonable size pond i imagine it would take ages.

What sort of plant were they?

just a couple of ranunculus lingua [which has since then pretty much died only a small plant of them remaining] and a iris versicolor

they need live meat not dead stuff. They suck fresh, warm blood

if they only suck warm blood does that mean my gold fish are safe?

now we all know i dislike children and this is a perfect excuse to hire some! if only this happened in the school holidays, you could prey on them in malls and offer them ten bucks to walk in your pond for half an hour!!!

be careful if you do stand in the pond, i did that once and it was very slimey and i fell over straight away :oops: (mother thought it was hilarious)

I don't think the meat idea would work because they aren't scavengers - they need live meat not dead stuff. They suck fresh, warm blood like.... yours for example!

By the way, don't do this if you have any kind of blood clotting disorder because leeches will inject you with an anticoagulant and if you get too many and/or leave them on for too long you might find that the bleeding won't stop. :o

Hehehehehehe. I am no use, but this cracks me up. Leeches?! :o