Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Beginners Cichlids

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of moving the fish in my lounge tank into the hallway tank and I was considering stocking the soon-to-be empty tank with cichlids... Specifically I was thinking about convicts, but then I actually thought about it, and realised that'd be a bad idea, 'cause I don't have any way of culling the fry out...

What would you guys suggest for a tank that holds about 100L? I'd like more than one or two fish, so I'm kind of lost!

I've got a photo of the tank linked here :)

pair would be good, not sure if theyre harem breeders or not. they get poopy with other fish when theyre breeding so would probably have to be kept alone if thats what your intending.

other than that dwarf apistos are always good, cockatoos are nice but one male per 3-4 females so not much colour. very interesting breeders though, apparently the male has his over all territory and the females have their smaller ones inside that and he 'makes his rounds' :lol: rams and bolivians are cool too.

good luck picking which fish to stock it with :D

  • Author

This is just all too much to think about! =p

Are there small(ish) cichlids that could be kept singly? Like, an Oscar would be awesome but I've got about half the litreage I'd need for one :cry:

Or, what about fish that have pretty females? I could always stock the tank with females so I don't get any babies! :bounce:

Basically I'm wanting to setup a NON-planted tank, and I thought of cichlids first, but it's beginning to look like they're too big for the tank :(

Apistogramma agassizis are nice, they stay smaller (they are dwarfs) and breed in harems. The females move very gracefully and have reasonable colorations. Also blue rams would be nice, they stay small and I think they breed in pairs. you could probably get away with both in 100LT tank (assuming it's about 3 foot long?)

Just my 2c

  • Author

I've been offered some Neolamprologus brichardi at a good cost - what do you think they'd be like in a rock-only tank? BTW - see my original post, there's a link to a photo of the tank itself. It's not a 3'er, it's higher than it is long/wide :)

kribensis are also pretty fish, females are pretty colourful but more so when breeding. not up on birchardi but they are pretty and i think theyre african meaning they would like rocks? because its so tall you cant really have that many territorial fish as territory is based on the room they have on the ground, not how much litres that have.

how about angels? probably couldnt have too many, perhaps 3-4

  • Author

No. NOT Angels... Both the boyfriend & myself really can't stand them :o

hrmm... So territories won't be established vertically rather than horizontally? I thought that would happen, as a lot of fish live alongside the lake/river-banks?

I did more reading last night and it looks like the Neolamprologus brichardi breed almost as well as convicts?

Rams & Kribs I don't think will work, 'cause they prefer a planted tank yeah?

not sure if kribs dont mind but rams are probably happier with plants.

fish make their territories on the ground ie one fish will take 20x20cm of substrate for himself and the water column that goes with it wherever he hangs out. id imagine that on river banks they would use slopes as territory but in a closed tank situation that might be hard to replicate :lol:

i think birchardi are very nice, if your into them you should def get some, if theyre naughty breeders perhaps just get all females or all males (if males can tolerate each other)

Ive got my kribs in my livebearer tank and while they rule the tank, its only when they are reproducing. :roll:

Mine swim around with everyone quite happily and I think they quite like the plants as thats where there babies congregate. I have noticed they do tend to have a wee nibble on occasion :-? They also have their own "jug" known as 'headquarters' which they defend quite aggresively.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.