How do you feed anemones? and a clown query

Jammos

I have been told that you can feed them but how?

shrimp and whitebait float!

Also i have perc clowns and was wondering how long or how to get them to like the anemone as it is new to the tank and is the only coral/anomone in there. Is it just time?

If you fed your anemone it will grow very fast I have also heard that it can make them more likely to eat your fish, this is maybe just a myth. If your anemone is fit and healthy there is no need to target feed it. If you want to do it for entertainment just use your tongs, once it has hold of something it wont float away.

I would just give it time for your clowns, if you dont have any success in a couple of weeks you could try chasing the clowns into it, with a net or tongs, personally I wouldn't do this but I have heard that it sometimes works.

To feed one put the food onto its tenticles (hopefully it will stick and the anemone will eat it)

The second one is harder. Some clowns will race into an anemone others don't even realise its there. (Best advice is let the anemone find the place it likes and then feed close to the anemone. If you try to force the clowns near it they will get scared and swim away)

We have two BTAs. One 'likes' mussel the other doesn't. They both like whitebait. Head first please...gets in our mouth quicker.

If they are ready to eat their tentacles should wrap around food very quickly if you 'wiggle' it against them.

Our clown doesn't like mussel so does its best to pull mussel out if I feed it to the anemone. :x

I target feed (usually a whitebait) ours at least once a week. Clowny looks after the rest of the week.

Touch wood, the BTAs haven't shifted in months....

I reckon its hard to tell how 'big' an anemone is or how much it has grown since the majority of it is water. They expand/shrink to suit their environment on a daily basis. :-?

Just a word of warning if you have any seio pumps or power heads in the tank make sure to cover the intake with mesh or something so your anemone does not get turned into mince meat like mine did the other day. :cry:

If you fed your anemone it will grow very fast I have also heard that it can make them more likely to eat your fish, this is maybe just a myth

MYTH

I feed mine every second day and have 25 fish my anemones don't go hungry so why would they eat a fish?

I use to feed mine when i first got them, but stopped once it got to the size i wanted to be and haven't feed it since. The clown feeds one of them now and then, i found the anemone's to settle a lot better and look healthier once it had a clown living in it.

I don't have an Anemone, but I do have a Torch Coral and a Bubble Coral close together which I must say since the Clowns have hosted on the Torch, it has grown and looks much more healthier. It has taken quite a few months before they would do this. It is very interesting to watch the clowns stick their whole head in the tenticles and sometimes see them with their mouth wide open with a tenticle in its mouth :o (no comment).

• 1 month later...

I dont know how benifical this is but i was told to freeze mussels first b4 feeding to my anemone to kill any parasites that may be present. P.S i am also after a anemone that i have seen that is basically white with a slight green tinge to its tentacles and a hot pink spot on the end of each tentacle can any one help with a name or where i may get one

my one loves all foods, my percula clowns (maybe false) pull food out sometimes.

I have stopped feeding but my clowns have not, and its growong into a monster :o:o

Good luck, try feeding it those seafood mixs from the supermarket, clam, mussel, shrimp, fish, etc etc...