Neons going crazy

SpidersWeb

I'm guessing there is something in the water this morning. Instead of schooling together and avoiding the cichlids as normal, they're doing this:

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/DrRabid/Video/?action=view&current=Neons2.flv&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

I'm guessing they're trying to breed, as they are targeting loose Java moss around the bottom of tank. Strange though, as the water isnt soft (6dH KH), and I dont think its finished cycling yet either, I haven't even done a water change yet :oops: but oh well, whatever they're up to is fun to watch.

Just thought I'd share it with you all. Sorry about the poor quality, I had it perfect then PhotoBucket decided to convert it to a Flash document, and I still haven't paid my web hosting bill :oops: so couldn't just upload the raw DivX.

Neons tend to stop shoaling if there is no visible threat to them in the tank, then they start sorting out their pecking order which usually involved lots of zipping about at each other.

Couldn't view the video(no flash player installed at work) but it could be what's happening.

Neons tend to stop shoaling if there is no visible threat to them in the tank, then they start sorting out their pecking order which usually involved lots of zipping about at each other.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. They stopped for a few seconds to eat flakes, and went back to it. Has been about 3 hours. Haven't seen any eggs yet.

Whole thing has made me want to breed them now haha

When they spawn a male slides up against a female, and they roll over. This action causes a few eggs to shoot out and they are simultaneously fertilised by the male's milt. You will see the eggs if they are spawning and the other hungry neons enjoy the caviar.

When they spawn a male slides up against a female, and they roll over. This action causes a few eggs to shoot out and they are simultaneously fertilised by the male's milt. You will see the eggs if they are spawning and the other hungry neons enjoy the caviar.

I did see this happening also. But no milt or eggs?

Using the 'straight lines' are boys trick, I worked out that the chasing and spinning in circles is male on male, but on occasions small groups or a pair would go down near Java moss or maybe just a little bit of dense plant, and would involve a single female and one or maybe 2-3 males, one male would move up next to her, and kind of bump her repetatively side by side, then they'd flick around. But yeah no eggs or milt or anything.

Most of them have gone back to schoaling except a few keen ones, although they're not as energetic as they were this morning :lol:

Sounds like you have some happy neons over there. Give them a tank in the dark with lots of java moss and see what happens!

Got a spare tank with sponger filter but need a big load of moss to cover the button, like say 400x200mm. Yell out if you have enough at your place, I'll put together some change, otherwise I might get lucky at the Aqua Fun Day :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

It looks like the boys were keen, and the girls weren't, found about 3 very fat girls hiding from the boys. 2 were by the filter inlet, which cracked me up, some of the keener chasers are still harrassing them, but they're half-tired, so they forget about the 1200L/hr intake right next to them haha 'oh noes!' thankfully the strainer isnt too thick.

I'm guessing this is why you're supposed to seperate the males/females. Oh and I fed them bloodworms last week, that probably did it along with the 28C temp.