Go the Copperband Butterfly, good bye Aiptasia

Kermit

Well after a long process of trying to zap the aiptasia with kwalk, drano i thought i'd try something a bit more natrual as i had enough of getting nowhere fast, so first i got a couple of pepermint shrimps in they went, hmm didn't see them for about two-three weeks no change to the aiptasia, hmmm ok what next sweet a copperband butterfly came up for grabs so thought why not so i got the little guy put him in and hey presto almost two months latter the aiptasia is gone from about 400-500+ to under 50 yippy no more zapping aiptasia.

400-500+ yeah got sick of trying to rid the pest, it looked like a mat of anemones :evil: but now you have to look hard to see one :D.

Cookie extreme

make sure you cultivate some in a spare tank just in case your CB eats nothing else after he finished all the aiptasia in the tank

yeah have got to admit the little fella doesn't seem to eat anything else, well nothing that i've noticed.

When I got mine I was warned that it would only eat the small apstasia so would have to still treat the bigger ones. No one told the copperband and he has gladly munched through all sizes.

I now grow apstasia in a second tank to make sure he always has a food supply. Never thought I would ever deliberately put this pest in my tank :hail::hail::hail:

Thanks Reef, well I think I'll get one next time i come across one I've always liked them.

Oh I should ask, I do have some nice torch & frogspawn that would be hard to lose, anybody know for sure how that would work? You got a racoon in your main display Reef?

You got a racoon in your main display Reef?

Not worth the risk for me as i have feather dusters .

Was going to try a declivis or tinkers butterfly but i think they will hammer my brain corals.

Might try a big longnose butterfly( longirostris) if i can ever find one. very hard to get for some reson.

Not worth the risk for me as i have feather dusters .

Was going to try a declivis or tinkers butterfly but i think they will hammer my brain corals.

Might try a big longnose butterfly( longirostris) if i can ever find one. very hard to get for some reson.

copperband got my feather dusters :(

• 1 month later...

Well thought i'd give an up date, the copperband has rid the tank of apstasia, i was worried about food for the little guy but he has been eating frozen foods for a little while now and he looks healthy, yay no more apstasia and no more stress on feeding the copperband yay yay yay.

My Copperband will not touch apstasia if it is too big. All the small ones are gone. He will only eat brine shrimp but I'll keep trying.

use some joes juice or calcium on the big ones, they will then turn into lots of small ones that the copper band will eat. :D