July 12, 200620 yr comment_110966 Just looking at algae control options I seem to get a lot of green algae (and a little bit of brown algae) growing on the front bottom half of the tank, the tank is in our lounge, which gets quite a bit of sunlight. Which fish would be best for my tank? I have an AR850 150ish litres stocked as below. Report
July 12, 200620 yr comment_110984 Bristlenose are my recommendation, and get young ones - as they get a wee bit lazy with cleaning glass as they get older. You should also invest in a magnetic glass cleaner so they aren't overburdened. Don't expect then to be able to handle the job by themselves if the tank is getting direct sunlight! Report
July 12, 200620 yr comment_110990 I have an army of 7 Baby Brisltenoses keeping my 620T clean and it gets direct sunlight from lunchtime to dark. There is not a spot of algae on the glass, or anywhere else for that matter. Be interesting to see if it stays that way as they get older however. I think Siamese algea eaters will eat that brown algae too. Report
July 13, 200620 yr comment_110993 I have 4 bristlenoses and 4 SAEs in my 4 footer - no green algae or that nasty hair (black beard) algae. Report
July 13, 200620 yr comment_111013 Ottos!! Ottos are great! All they do is eat algae! Brilliant little fishies with heaps of character. Siamese algae eaters and ottos are said to be the best algae eaters, SAEs tend to get a little bigger (15cm), and ottos (5cm). One thing tho, ottos are very picky about their water. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebInde ... lusart.htm <-- good info about ottos http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/saes.htm <-- siamese algae eater and the other ones. Report
July 13, 200620 yr comment_111023 These freshwater shrimp are probably the best, from what I've read, but don't have any first hand experience. Biggest problem is stopping them being eaten by other fish. http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/shrimp ... 14384.html Report
July 13, 200620 yr Author comment_111129 Thanks guys! Ottos are on my wishlist as I read they were good algae eaters and had lots of character, just a bit worried as I've also read they can be quite fragile when first introduced to a tank. Was thinking about bristlenoses too, but don't you have to add some drift wood for them as well? Report
July 14, 200620 yr comment_111164 I have found ottos mostly good, but expensive. Unfortunately I lost all of mine a couple of years ago when treating the clown loaches for ich. Made the dreadful error of raising the temp AND adding meds. :oops: I now have a bristlenose and I must say he's doing a brilliant job. He has kept the tank cleaner than the 5 ottos ever did. IME he seems to eat more varieties of algae than the ottos, and he seems to have a stronger mouth to scrape off some quite stubborn stuff. And he was way cheaper than a school of ottos! Report
July 14, 200620 yr comment_111174 Yea the bristlenoses are no doubt very good at algae eating apart from getting lazy like most fish when they get older (e.g black line flying foxes). There's a brief article on breeding otos (as yes $15 ea is rather expensive and they like to be in schools of at least 6). There is a brand that make algae tabs that have wood particles in them Mystic, can't remember what it is. Report
July 14, 200620 yr comment_111177 There is a brand that make algae tabs that have wood particles in them JBL Plecochips. Also one of the only ones that have no copper in them, if that's any importance to anyone.... Report
July 14, 200620 yr comment_111202 Good if you have clown loaches... *looks at my 14 clown loaches* hmmm *runs and buys JBL pleco chips* Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.