gulping kribinses

oreo

Hi Everyone,

I have a pair of kribensis in a community tank, and the male has started gulping and staying at the bottom of the tank, very occasionaly swims to the top. He has stopped eating and isnt moving around much as I don't think he is getting enough oxygen.

I have had the water tested and it is all ok. The guy at the aquarium suggested that I added salts. i have done this, however there still appears to be no change, and all the other fish appear fine and look healthy.

Do you have any suggestions as to what else I can do? :-?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply suemack and ryanjury!

The tank has been set up for about 2 years and i swapped from a gravel filter to an underwater one about 2 months ago. The tank is 70L and we have 4 tiger barbs, 2 congo tetras and the two krib. I have never noticed any bullying in the tank - only when the kribs had fry, they were bullying the other fish. They had fry about 4-6 months ago however they lost them as it was their first lot.

I don't have any water details. I took a sample to the aquarium to test, and they said it was good - no problems with pH, ammonia or nitrates.

There is plenty of oxygen bubbling through, and all the other fish look pretty healty and arent displaying any symptoms.

I hope I can save him, so suggestions would be great.

Unforunately he died over night :cry:

I had already check his gills, and they didn't appear red, so I have no idea what went wrong. Hopefully it wont to any of my other fish.

I am going to wait a couple of weeks to see how the rest of my fish go - do any of you think i should wait longer?

If you don't wait what are you going to do instead - ?

I lost a female krib a month or so back and she was exhibiting similar signs to your fish - while it could have been dropsy I have put it down to old age and the stress of spawning as she and her man had a new batch of young they were caring for.

How many kribs do you have left?