PH crash

Tsarmina

the PH levels in almost all of my tanks has crashed.

in my girl guppy tank: 6.2

boy gups: 6.0

knife & pleco tank: 6.0

comm tank: 6.2

blonde gup tank: 6.2

wcmm tank: 6.4

tap water: 7.0

i am, very slowly, adding PH up to the tanks. any ideas as to what may have caused this??

there has been nothing foreign added to any of the tanks

Adding pH up without knowing the cause is a bad idea. It is not a permanent fix and the pH will drop rapidly again. Fish will tolerate a steady but high or low pH more readily that a wildly swinging pH which is what you are going to get.

Most likely cause is something in the tank - gravel, driftwood or other common item present in all tanks, overstocking etc.

By the way, 6.0 isn't a crash, merely a drop :wink:

we have just started using a gas heater, which coincides with the time the ph levels dropped.

is there anything that would help keep the ph at an even level?

my guppy boys were not doing well and i have also lost 3 girls and a neon.

ph crashes when your kh isnt high enough to buffer it i think. i have to put shell grit in all my tanks to counteract this as out of the tap we have 0/1 dgh which means big ph swings :( you can put some grit in your filters if you like (the stuff you get from teh supermarkets birds eat) but it will up your ph a bit. i found a handful got the ph to 7.2 from 6.8 and the kh up to 3, gh up to 4 (i think, it was a while since i tested it).

Also one question

Whats the maintenance on your tanks like?

PH will naturally lower in your fish tank if there is nothing to keep it buffered up this is a result of the Nitrogen cycle.

as everyone has said check your KH and GH levels and make sure they are high enough to stop another crash

Brad