feeding while on holiday.

jinx

how do you guy's go about this, away for 2 1/2 weeks, having water and gravel cleaned after 10 days, wouild the neighbour be ok feeding every second day, or the lfs sugested a food block, community tank 230l, thanks martin.

If the neighbour is prepared to feed the fish then I suggest you lay in a supply of frozen blood worms as the food that gets fed.

Reasoning - come in measured amounts (ie 3 cubes, 4 cubes etc), fish really like blood worms so that there isn't likely to be any uneaten food to cause excess pollution.

The amount that gets fed is likely to be less than what they normally get fed, but providing they've been fed on a regular basis before you leave I wouldn't expect any problems - just fish really happy to see you home :D

The blood worm thing is what I do when I'm going away for longer than a week - just stick post-it notes on the tanks with how many cubes each tank gets, point the flatmates in the direction of the blood worms and away I go.

One more point - ask the neighbour to remove any dead fish (not that there are going to be any - but they can cause added problems if left to rot)

I'm not sure where exactly wifey got them, but she got a bunch of little plastic containers 50 for only a couple bucks. You could put however much food per day or two days in the container and have the neighbor just dump the container in the tank.

I use an automatic feeder when I go away, but if you are getting someone else to feed them, individual portions in labled plastic bags or containters, as Ira said, are the way to go (prevents possible overfeeding).

My unsubstantiated opinion of those feeder block things is that they are a waste of time. I think they are mainly made up of things other than food. They are not really appropriate for any top feeders you might have. If you have snails they will eat most of it. They can't be good for water chemistry.

Feel free to crucify me if my opinions are wrong.

I don't feed my fish when I am away. They have plenty to graze on. Mind you, I am talking relatively small fish, not large cichlids.

I would put the right amounts in small containers labelled with the day of the week you want it added to the tank.

I am fortunate in having a neighbour interested infish and she feeds them if I am away. I just leave the food in containers for each tank and note re removal of dead leaves, fish etc. Less rather than more is the key IMO My tanks are also on the understocked side as well so that helps too.