Siamese Algae eater

Fatfish

Hey everyone!

Does any body know of a fish retailer in Auckland that sells SIAMESE ALGAE EATERS??

No one seems to know what I'm talking about, and all the pet shops keep saying "Ooh you mean a Chinese Algae eater" or "Ooh you mean flying foxes"

Any help appreciated!

Hi there and welcome to NZ fishroom Fatfish.

I can't provide a definite answer for you, Jansens Northshore had some last time I was up there and I would have thought that Hollywoods (Mt Roskill) and Jansens (3 Kings) would have had some.

I suspect that there is confusion over the naming (on the retailers part). I very rarely (actually can't even recall once) see them being sold as Saimese algae eaters, the most common name they are sold by is Blackline Flying Foxes.

Hope this bit of info helps in your hunt.

The fish you are probably referring to is Crossocheilus siamensis commonly known as the 'Black Line Flying Fox'

It is one of the few algae eater who munch the Red Brush Algae that plague many tanks.

Holywoods (PH 620 5249) had some of these a couple of weeks ago. They are available quite regularly.

From what I understand, the true SAE is on the prohibited list but comes in fairly regulary as 'flying foxes'. The links provided above distinguish between the true SAE and the 'fake' ones. The SAE's sold in Wgtn are always (in my experience) sold as flying foxes, I'd actually never heard the term 'black line flying fox' till I read this thread. The true SAE is a fish worth its weight in gold when it comes to algae control. They do get reasonably big though.

Ben

Hi there - went and checked on what Ben mentioned about SAE's being prohibited (I couldn't think of a reason why they should be - but then sometimes MAF don't need a reason).

Check out the following link:

http://www.maf.govt.nz/biosecurity/imports/animals/standards/fisornic.all.htm#appendix1

Crossocheilus siamensis Siamese algae eater is on the allowed list

I also checked on the dissallowed list to make sure it's not one of those that appears on both (I know of one species where this is the case, but no I'm not going to tell) and it's not listed under disallowed.

Don't know why they don't import them as SAEs.

I'm pretty sure they are imported as SAE's.

I've got 3 left, had 6 before but they jumped.

I know they are SAE's because I don't have any Red Brush Algae. :D

You see them in Wellington area shops regularly.

I got them a year ago through the Upper Hutt Club.

See, it pays to join a real club.

Yay! :D

Just popped two SAE into my tank - I finally found some at Jansens main branch..... (they haven't done to much yet, but I'm waiting to be impressed!!)

Just to give everyone a quick update cos' many people said that the SAE is called a 'Black line flying fox' here.

Jansens had 'Flying Foxes', 'Black Line Flying Foxes' AND 'Siamese Algae Eaters'!! so there are obviously three different species (although they all looked pretty similar to me, and the guy there didn't seem to know much, or be able to point out to me the differences.........)

whew! so my search is over.......... :wink: