fish room

ludakris

hi all i am building a fish room in my shed 3x6 meters in size just wondering if there is anybody near by that would allow me to veiw there simaler setups dont mind a bit of a travel also any advise would be awsome eg; filtration ideas for multiple tanks ,tank sizes ,insulation, ventilation

cheers

Hi Ludachris,

We have a converted garage that we've made into a fishroom with 20x240L growon tanks. We decided on independent filtration and heating for the lot (we have somebody to do the waterchanges so time taken to change is not an issue), just in case one of the tanks got a bug - we didn't want it spreading.

Before we installed the tanks, we were able to insulate the walls with poly, and some of the roof. Then the tanks arrived, and the temptation to get them up and running was too much, we didn't finish the insulation job. As yet we haven't done the rest of the roof - always seems to be something more important to do.

Then the other day a power bill arrived - it's the first read account since we powered up the room - $730 for 31 days.

So, we have some poly sheets arriving from styrobeck in auckland, and we're going to finish the insulation job this weekend. The poly cost $76.00 plus $12 freight.

The moral of the story for us... Do it properly or it'll cost you bigtime.

And the waterchanges? It takes him 4hrs a week to do that room and another with 14 tanks. Not really that bad. I guess with a sump system it might be a bit less labour intensive though.

So, we have some poly sheets arriving from styrobeck in auckland, and we're going to finish the insulation job this weekend. The poly cost $76.00 plus $12 freight

I hope you are going to wrap this with some kind of plastic...

Have you considered an alternative to building a room. I purchased the back off an old milk truck which gave me insulation, space and easy clean floor.

Our room is 5x2.5 metres and comfortably takes forty tanks.

You are more than welcome to come for a look seeand you could also meet some of our club members

Regards Mitch & Debby

That power bill seems far too high. We have 10 tanks in various sizes (but all over 200L and our bill is $340 this month. We have them in a cold open garage area and just have poly around the sides and back of tanks. I think Mincton's idea is just great, unfortunately it wouldn't be enough space for us though.

The power bill is a bit extreme.

However, we are running 4 rooms (my first post was a bit misleading, only mentioned two). Jim the tank cleaner only does the first two as the others are spawning/fry tanks. and require a delicate touch.

The fourth room is about to be mothballed, we need more two footers - have some 300L tanks to get rid of, them can restart it and get cranking.