Power outage

ghostface

Wow out again? That's crazy!!!

When it went out for a couple of months in 1998 I lost major money, my staff could not work on certain locations but I still had to pay them.

Did I recieve any compensation? Not a cent. My lawyer told me they had made a decision to fight each claim to the max, on a case by case basis, and his advise to me was to forget it.

I thought Telecon were bad but I cannot believe these guys have made little effort to improve infrastructure since 1998. They should all be fired and forced to get a real job where they have to perform.

Hmmm, I vaguely remember something about them trying to run more power lines up to Auckland and everyone whining like little girls about it. Sounds like it's partially self inflicted to me. And anyway, it sounds like most of you guys weren't out for that long.

I thought Telecon were bad but I cannot believe these guys have made little effort to improve infrastructure since 1998. They should all be fired and forced to get a real job where they have to perform.

This is quite a different situation than Telecom. The industry have been trying to get these major upgrades to progress. They have the money to spend, and are willing to spend it. They are well aware of the fragility and capacity shortfalls of the power network, not only into Auckland but into Christchurch as well. Their hands are tied with the ridiculous processes involved to get anything approved through the RMA and associated crap.

By being charged with providing critical infrastructure, they should have the ability to bypass all this consultation and RMA rubbish and go ahead with their plans, as they are in the national interest.

Look what happened to Meridian and project aqua, canned because of the expense and time required to got through consent processes. I suspect that will come back to bite hard.

How are they different to Telecom, well Telecom's just plain incompetent.

They have what amounts to one line from Onehunga to Penrose. They have had 8 years to sort this.

Telecom incompetent? I'd beg to differ, in fact it is the system that is wrong. As things stand at present, Telecoms management is working for their shareholders, and is charged with making the maximum profit they can. This they have done with extreme efficiency. Theresa Gattung is judged by how much profit she makes and that is what her job is.

So, under the existing ( or recently existing ) system, her job was to extract the maximum possible money from NZ, and distribute it to mainly overseas shareholders. If it was nessecary to strangle internet speed, kill new competition, screw customers with 70 dollar charges for a service that cost 20 cents, and generally hurt the NZ economy to achieve maximum profit by leveraging monoploy status, then that was their job.

It was inevitable the government would have to intervene, only thing I don't understand is why they didn't do it years ago.

I had the weird problem of only being able to look at New Zealand websites - a phonecall to ihug was useless, they couldnt even answer the phones to take calls as they are based in auckland. :lol:

I was stoked about the telecome thing, they have been shafting NZ for ages, right back into the 80's. It started with local calls- somehow the most expensive in the world. Excuses excuses, now its continuing with cell phone rates. It really annoys me. :x

I'm glad the minister made his inappropriate comments too, even more off the share price.

The annoying thing is the government owns 40% of telecom? so it's partially in their intrests to rip us off. Ugggh!

They have had more than 8 years to sort it out, and that pretty much sums up the bureaucracy they face in trying to do what they need to do.

In incompetent I was talking more from providing a technical standpoint rather than a business one, they fail to provide reliability in some of the most basic services required for the internet to operate.

But I agree, essential infrastructure networks need to be heavily regulated if they are going to operate "privately". It's the one place where the government should poke their nose in business. They don't seem to have a problem doing that where they aren't needed, but are reluctant to where it matters.