breeding setup

shiuh

Hi all.

i am thinking of DIY a breeding setup for breeding livebearers.

i have one of those typical 4 shelves bunnings type galvanised steel stands.

3 - 730mm x 300mm x 300mm tanks.

1 - 730mm x 300mm x 300mm Sump at the bottom shelve (heater, pump, UV filter)

illustrated in my sketch.

question is what sort of submersible pump can i get in order to have enough power to pump to all above tanks? the shelves itself is 1500mm high plus 300mm high tank, so it will be 1800mm height in total.

fish_setup.jpg

lol...there is always room for improvements. lately i have found out while im heavily breeding poecilia, xiphophorin species, hybrid of this species (koi swords and platies) with areas on their bodies fequently develop a type of tumors. :-? got sick of this...and just want to upgrade the filteration a little.

think a 1250 pump would be way to small for what you have drawn, I have two suggestions firstly use a 1060 pump (there are plently of these round secondhand for $100 or so), this will give you the head height and flow you require. Secondly why pump to all the tanks?? let gravity do the work for you, put a overflow in each tank draining into the next. this will also save you a huge amount of plumbing for feeds and returns.

I'm currently doing exactly what you're about to do - Multiple tanks sharing a common sump filter with UV. Even powerful powerheads for aquarium use aren't strong enough to pump more than a trickle to that height but some of the laguana pond pumps can. I can't remember the exact modle number but I will find out for you tomorrow. Definiately a good idea to have a hole drilled in the bottom of each tank for an overflow. The whole system can be powered by one consistent pump instead of multiple pumps whos flow rates may begin to vary over time. I still havn't decided on a UV filter. Many out there are designed for pond use so they are primarily designed to eliminate algae. Although, hypothetically, they will kill pathogens, the specs simply state 'kills algae' - no mention of 'kills other nasties'. So best to confirm with whomever you get it from that it will definately kill pathogens. Generally, the stronger the UV light, the more bugs it kills. Having said that, I think you will only require a relatively small one. Having too fast a flow through it reduces its effectiveness. If the water flow is too fast, instead of placing the UV 'in-line', you could have it drawing water from the sump, processing it, then returning it to the sump again.

I'll hopefully be finding out more about what's available tomorrow. Have you had any recommended to you?

There is another option, that is a sump pump.

There not made for Aquariums but they will do the job.

There are many brands but dam if I can remember any right now.

There is the "one pump" it is avalable here the wholesaler is Brocklands or if you what to spend some $$ there are magnetic drive pumps on commercial web sites you just have to ask that it is 240V unlike the US which runs on 115V.

I have a magnetic drive a really good 1 and it cost me a little under $1000.00 to my door including custom fees, gst etc.

But it is probably more powerful then you require so a smaller module will be cheeper but just as reliable.