Plants from Stream (Hydra)

Stella

I found some nice plants in a local stream (doing all-native fish and want appropriate plants). They are sitting in a container on the kitchen bench due to slackness.

I noticed a few days ago it is full of hydra. Not a creature I had come across before, but very cool.

I have heard of them being bad in tanks, but mainly for fry.

Should I be worried?

How can I get rid of these things so I can use the plants?

I have:

80 litre tank.

3 inanga

4 bullies

random shrimp

1 crayfish

Stella

i would think if your fish are smaller (not baby size obviously) they would snack on them all?

but yeah, copper would probably work as long as you treat in a tank without your shrimp and cray (it hurts snails so i think it would hurt them too?)

copper would probably work as long as you treat in a tank without your shrimp and cray (it hurts snails so i think it would hurt them too?)

Ooh thanks, sharn. Copper will kill most inverts so yes, it will kill shrimps and crays and snails and worms and...

That just proves that I should always read the question carefully before offering random answers! I'm glad sharn noticed that there were inverts in that tank. :oops:

Well, the good thing is these beasties are not in my tank yet, so treating them with copper is a possiblity.

Is it a case of dunk for a few minutes and then rinse rinse rinse?

What should I do to things before introducing them from the wild? Plants/rocks/fish.

It was just chance that I noticed these things! Some things you cant see..

And it has been two months to get rid of the last nasties... :evil:

Stella

...What should I do to things before introducing them from the wild? Plants/rocks/fish.

It was just chance that I noticed these things! Some things you cant see..

And it has been two months to get rid of the last nasties... :evil:

Stella

With rocks and driftwood boil, boil, boil, boil. Plants aren't so easy but from now on I will be soaking all new plants I get in "Snail rid". In fact the plants I have will be soaked before hitting my fish room (once it's finished). With fish it never hurts to quarantine when you first get them. ;)

Edited to add: If getting fish from the wild you should ALWAYS quarantine and a quick salt bath may help reduce the chance of introducing external parasites into your tanks.

well the cray seems to love snails. I tried putting a whole lot in to kick off a population boom in the hope it would provide self-renewing snacks for the cray and bullies.

Weren't any left after a week....

Don't know what you people keep complaining about with snails! ;)

How long should a new fish be quarantined for?

I currently have a huge pot on the stove slowly making wood tea. Need to get around to boiling it one day before it starts it's own ecosystem...

Stella