I've bred albino corydoras sterbai!

Aaron_fish_mad_guy

I was just saying in regards to the Angels as he said that there were more like this... So I said what one I know of.

and also you said "its the pigmentation that gives something its markings in the first place" Which is what we were talking about and stating some ones that are an exception. And also what you said Aquatopia seemed like it was in regards to all fish not just corys when you said about how it wouldnt have any markings. :P

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread - congratulations on your breeding - looking forward to seeing pics soon :D

now now boys. wands down (or should i say keyboards)

lol

:lol:

albinism is characteristic lacking of melanin. if there are more pigments in reduced amounts it is leucism.

not to be confused with occular (eye) albinism which is only pigment lacking in the eye. this could be because the gene for pigment is not sex linked, or is sex linked in some fish.

now now boys. wands down (or should i say keyboards)

lol

:lol:

albinism is characteristic lacking of melanin. if there are more pigments in reduced amounts it is leucism.

not to be confused with occular (eye) albinism which is only pigment lacking in the eye. this could be because the gene for pigment is not sex linked, or is sex linked in some fish.

LOL - so are the kribs that are referred to as albino (and which display markings) leucistic then ? I have heard of leucistic in lizards (leopard geckos in particular) before. Is the albino eye gene totally separate to albino body pigmentation ? (IE can you get one without the other ?)

you can get one without the other.

the kribs are true albinos. they produce no melanin or any other pigment in the eye or the body. the belly's go redish pink but are not as red as in the normal non albino strain. but i think what we have is the end product of breeding fish with the recessive trait (aa,aa) with aa,aa and then selectively breeding the resulting off spring with aa,aa. I have seen pure white albinos with no pigment at all but that was a long time ago. so if the gene for belly colour is on another chr then its just fair pickings, and a case of one genes dominance over another.

But i don't think it is the same across all species as this would depend on the alleles, and where they crossover on the chromosomes. if the gene in question is sex linked then it makes life more complicated cause then you have to know everything about the sex chromosomes... and i dont know all about this fish's chr's. :lol:

if its not sex linked, then its on the autosomes, and i know nothing about this fish's autosomes either. :lol:

I would imagine each fish would be different, but across a species range there would be some commanilities observed.

Ok so I have 2 green severums that came from a spawn of over 250 that are white.

In certain light conditions faint strips can be seen.

I would not call them albino's coz they have black eyes.

What would you call them?

this is awesome.

highlights the fact that just because the albino gene is recessive, doesnt mean that another gene cannot be expressed. generally if there is a reduction of pigment in the skin it is referred to as leucism .

you could potentially have co-dominance in your fish's case- where more than one gene can express for the same trait.

infact in some cases a recessive gene can still be expressed amongst dominant alleles. AAAa could still show for a! EDIT - further down the line or as a coexpressed trait

its freaky stuff.

this is awesome.

highlights the fact that just because the albino gene is recessive, doesnt mean that another gene cannot be expressed. generally if there is a reduction of pigment in the skin it is referred to as leucism .

you could potentially have co-dominance in your fish's case- where more than one gene can express for the same trait.

infact in some cases a recessive gene can still be expressed amongst dominant alleles. AAAa could still show for a!

its freaky stuff.

When I was younger I used to breed budgies.

I had pure breed albino's, leutino's, pieds, harlequins etc etc

Working out which genes where dominant and which were recessive seemed relatively easy especially when I experimented with cross breeding.

It seems to me that fish genetics is way more complicated.

Perhaps this due to extensive cross breding, inbreeding and line breeding in home and commercial aquaria?