I've bred albino corydoras sterbai!

Aaron_fish_mad_guy

They look similar but no they are different - i think . check the 2 photos sterbai have coloured fins and a far more pointed dorsal fin.

What is the scientific name of the common albino that are sold around. Anyone know if they are sterbai. If not my normal sterbai parents are great! I'll give them another fresh king prawn tomorrow!

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.aquarealms.com/photos/v/members/coryfav/Albino_Corydoras_Sterbai.jpg.html

Hi Aaron, any other albino in the tank??

The normal albinos available are the Paleatus and the Aeneus.

I haven't heard of any albino sterbia in NZ, but that doesn't mean there aren't some here.

Is it possible that yours could have crossed with an albino in your tank??

Please fill in the gaps.

Alan 104

sterbai are one of my favourite catfish. The albino version of them still has the orange fins. If they have been crossed with albino bronzes you may not get the orange and the pointed fin. I think that there is a thread about them on planet catfish.

Can you show me some more pictures?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Have you never seen a albino fish before? :lol:

Ive Had albino angels and they had their stripes still, they were quite faint though

And im sure theres more?

Yes I have seen an albino fish before, and most likely a significant number more than you since you are half my age and I have been keeping fish for 20 years on and off ! Have you seen a normal Albino Cory ? (they are the whitish coloured ones with no markings :lol: ). The albino gene, by its very nature, inhibits pigment production, so its usually a pretty fair assumption that an albino corydoras (be it sterbai or whatever) will not have any markings (its the pigmentation that gives something its markings in the first place) - hency my comment "i would not imagine so". :roll:

Oh, here's a great link I found on google for you relating to Albino corydoras sterbai - unsurprisingly they have no markings;-

http://www.azaquaticplants.com/community/showthread.php?t=9673

But albino kribensis still have patterns on the just not pigmented.

So they don't have pigment of course but they can still have patterns.

But we are not talking about Albino kribensis or Albino Angel fish on this thread are we ? We are talking about Albino Corydoras. There are exceptions to most rules, but they are just that - exceptions. Most true albino anything, by its very nature will NOT have pigmentation.

I was just saying in regards to the Angels as he said that there were more like this... So I said what one I know of.

and also you said "its the pigmentation that gives something its markings in the first place" Which is what we were talking about and stating some ones that are an exception. And also what you said Aquatopia seemed like it was in regards to all fish not just corys when you said about how it wouldnt have any markings. :P