Gravel in tanks ... works for plants?

SilverBlade86

Java will attach itself to the gravel but don't completely bury the roots, just anchor enough to hold it down

I didn't know that...but the roots must eventually go under the gravel do they?

i tie my java fern to rocks and driftwood cause i dont like it floating around my tanks, does that make me a total control freak? :lol:

Nah, it just means you don't like picking it out of your filter inlet when it get stuck there.

I planted a large Java fern in my main tank as it was blocking the light from my other plants and it went nuts! There are now babies all over it and it has reclaimed the surface (well it's babies have) going to have to do some pruning soon LOL.

Maintank.jpg

This one is tied to a rock with brown cotton, the rock is partially buried in the gravel, and about 30mm of it sits above the substrate, with the majority of the roots just floating around it.

java-fern.jpg

I planted a large Java fern in my main tank as it was blocking the light from my other plants and it went nuts! There are now babies all over it and it has reclaimed the surface (well it's babies have) going to have to do some pruning soon LOL.

Hmm, looking at your picture, I might have a problem. Since I have a small tank, I dont put too much gravel in it. Maybe 1 - 2 cm at most. How would that be? :-?

Ohh ok. My bad then, I must have not read the posts below.

Anyways, I forgot I had somemore gravel, so now my tank has around 1 inch of gravel in it. Whens the best time to start planting? I've tossed in a tester WCMM in there to see if it survives, and assuming all goes well I would like to plant ASAP.

How big is your tank?

I have a 600 x 300 x300 mm planted tank, it has 30mm of Daltons propogating sand and on top of that 30mm of 5-9mm gravel.

You can see a pic of it when it was first set up if you click Gallery at the top navigation of the page, or click here:

http://gallery.guppies.co.nz/displayima ... 0023&pos=2

My tank is a tad bit smaller than yours, at 500m x 300mm x 300mm. And your tank looks great. Trying to see if I can achieve the same effect with mine. :wink:

As for the fish trying to bug me if I have food, its only just one fish. If the guy survives a week I'll remove him and start planting.

Your tank is the same depth as mine, I have put a 40mm strip of black foam board (black foam sandwiched between black card) around the base of the front and sides of my tank so that you can't see all the substrate, just 20mm of gravel. This stops you seeing the gritty stuff at the bottom (maybe I'm too fussy about this sort of thing, but hey, it's gotta look good).

When I redo this tank (or should that be undo?) I will look at putting Daltons Aquatic Mix on the bottom, rather than the sand. It was all I could find at the time I set it up, but now I have found a source for the proper stuff.

I've always planted first then added fish. Easier without the little guys trying to see if you have food and getting in the way.

I put the substrate in first, half filled it with water, then planted. You don't have to get wet all the way up to your armpits this way, even if it is a small tank.

Then filled to the top, waited for the muck to settle, added filter, then three Corydoras.

I always plant the tank first as that helps with the cycling (uses the nitrate that gets produced) and it takes a while for the plants to get established, so they are getting established while the cycling is going on. The plants you have in the picture look like cuttings and will need to develop roots before the can play any real part in cycling.

Yeah, I'm about to do the same thing. I got the gravel, driftwood and filteration going, with just one WCMM in it to test if the gravel and driftwood is safe.

So far 2 days have passed and the WCMM seems lively but lonely, so I might start planting soon. Any suggestions on plants I could use? I got Java Fern and Java Moss in mind, but are there any others? This will be an unheated tank, and will definetely be cold during winter.

I was just told that most plants will be fine during winter, however as my tank will not have any lighting I'm not too sure about some of the plants now.

Some of the suggested plants:

Ricca

Indian Fern

Anubias

Ambrulia

However, Ricca is supposedly a heavy light requiring plant, so I dont think it will be suitable. My tank is next to a window, so it should get some light but I reckon it wont be enough. Any thoughts and comments on these selections?