Can I use these Daphnia?

Tillie

I had a pure culture in a 10L bucket which subsequently died after not having green water to feed them. I put this bucket outside ( I think I tipped out water or most of it) and it has been sitting there for months. Today I looked in and saw i the shallow green water lots of Daphnia! I think they are the 2nd generation eggs that must have hatched after to first lot died. Anyway, i would like to know if they are safe to use to feed my tropical fish and goldfish? I did find a dead and algae covered weta and bee in there too which I scooped out, but other than that the water is rainwater (they must have been living off their dead friends too!). I don't see any cyclops in there, or mosquito larvae, but then I haven't looked that hard. Can I use them? (Even if there is mozzie larvae?) Thanks!

now this is what I find weird. I have a bucket, baby bath and a bath tub outside with water in it and I don't have any mozzie larvae. Is it because its just to cold down here for them or what? Or could it be that the water is just in the wrong place? The only one that has fish in it is the bath tub. The bucket and baby bath is just water and the baby bath is soaking driftwood.

:bounce:

i always wondered why in the middle of summer when my room was swarming with them why id never get mozzie larvae in my buckets. antwan said i needed to put something in there for them to eat so i put a bit of yeast in. still nothing. then i find out you have to put something in there (like a stick or something) so the adults can sit on it to lay their eggs??? i thought they might just sit on the side but ill try that next summer, we have a grotty old bin thing out on the reserve and thats full of larvae but you have to pick out all the grass etc that goes along with it which takes a few hours :lol:

i went outside to my buckets today to have a look. I have three out there, and only one of them has some mozzie larvae in them, prob only about 10 in there though. Definitely must be the weather slowing them down.

At my flatmates last job all the smokers flicked their ash and butts into this old barrel which always had rain water in it. I used to get heaps of mozzie larvae from it. 5mins to collect, 3 hours to get to a state that I would give it to my fish but they loved it!!! Pity my flatmate doesn't work there anymore.

Haha yeah I was thinking they might need to watch that show "Cold Turkey" to help them through.

Everyone, add a dry old wrinkled up banana to your bucket/bath/pond and you will have it teaming with mossie larvae within a few weeks. I tried this recently with a couple of bananas and was amazed how many mossies there were in there especially as it is getting cooler. Not only does the banana make the water very 'green', but the smell attracts the mosquitos to it like bees to flowers. On the same token, if you've just eat a banana you are 5x more likely to get bitten by a mosquito than someone that hasn't so if you have eaten one i recommend walking around draped in a mosquito net.

Mosquitos pretty much die off during winter as it's too cold, but the good news is daphnia like it colder.....so time to invest :)