HELP HELP clown loaches have white spot!!

lorrainel

Help help!!

Have a brand new tank and :cry: i've just noticed for the last 2 days one of my clowns has been v lethargic + hiding a lot. I looked v closely at him today and he's got 2 little spots on his head and some on his tail!

There's so many differing opinions on wat to do for him, So I've raised the temp to 28-29 degrees, and added 2 Tbs of salt in the water (have a 109L Jebo 362 tank). But i've read that i should be adding up to 2-3Tbs per 20L??!!! help i wanna get rid of the whitespot!

Sorry Lorraine but we did warn you this would happen. They are very sensitive to meds so if you resort to these, use half dose.

Raising the temp will make the white spot lifecycle go faster and thoroughly vacuuming the gravel will pick up the cysts.

Keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and do water changes whenever these go up a bit. With a bit of luck you will be able to save them through the tank cycle.

Good luck

ahhh yes, the dreaded white spot, clowns are notorious for it but you caught it early and its not hard to treat :)

because clowns are so senstive i would go for the salt and heat method

up the temp to around 28-29C and add one tablespoon per 40L of water, its normally 1tbsp per 20L but because clowns are 'scaleless' they need lower doses. only replace the salt that you take out for water changes cause it doesnt evaporate ie take out 20L add half a tbsp back. when i had white spot in my tank i did the heat and salt for one week then dropped the temp back down to 27C and left the salt in for two more weeks,it worked a treat but you may need to do it for a week or three. you have to keep the treatment going for a while incase any cysts manage to survive and re-infect your tank. good luck :wink:

Personally I treated with white spot cure and malkon at normal dose and all was well. But these fish were in a 300L heavily planted tank and were well settled in. They were also quite large and were very healthy before getting the whitespot. They got the whitespot from adding water that was cooler than their tankwater with their 40% weekly water change, so now I preheat it.

good point luke- you can use meds if you like lorrainel, its up to you :) if you go the meds way just double check on here whether they need a half dose or can take a normal dose as diff meds are diff strenghts, some will also damage your bacteria in your tank which you wouldnt want to do at present as its still cycling :wink:

Update - so far I've added 2 1/2 Tbs salt gradually over last 2 days + up temp to 29-30degrees. all fish still alive, clowns much much more active dunno how long this'll last!! i think there's something wrong with my heater or temperature gauge tho... i put it up to 28degrees and it heated my tank up to 30degrees plus!!! but fishies still doing OK looking a little better than b4 and eating v well.

Will keep tank 'salted' for 10 days as u instructed thanks :)

Heaterstat gauges are inaccurate Lorraine. Just because it says it is set to 28 doesn't mean the actual temp will be 28 :roll:

Use a separate thermometer to check. If you realise your heaterstat is 2 degrees hotter than it actually says, then set it accordingly.

it sucks aye :lol: luke had one a while back that he adjusted a teeny eeny weeny bit and it cooked his fish :cry: i be real careful with my heaters and make sure im around to watch the temperature over the next fwe hours whenever i adjust them, im scared that it'll do what lukes did. best to have your thermometer so you can see what your heaters doing, i really dont know why they dont make accurate ones :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

We have had whitespot on the clowns three times and have successfully treated it using Whitespot Cure. Salt can be very dangerous for scaleless fish as they will tend to absorb it and lose water from their bodies. I'ts all diffusion baby!

hi,

if it's a newish tank, you might have some levels.

plenty of peoples have cured the clown loaches just with the raised temp.

clown loaches tolerate very high temp ie 32,add airation.

salt very dicey with loaches.

waterchange,add xtra air,raise temp to 32. like caryl said,make sure you have an accurate thermometor.

good luck.

shell.

white spots are all gone except from one clown the small clown is absolutely covered with spots for 1 wk now and its not going away. he's still active + eating well, but i raised the temp to 29-30degrees and it still not any better. In total i've had the raised temp + salt for 3 wks n not eradicated it yet!

if its not better in the next few days i'm gonna quit with the salt + try a traditional meds instead - anybody got any recommendation + dosages?

oh PS i think the salt is killing my plants one of them feathery plants has gone all brown + straggly had to remove it today :(:cry:

ahhh yes, plants dont really like salt that much...

if it doesnt get bette your plan is good. do enough water changes to completley get rid of the salt and then go with your meds. i have heard good things about Wunders 'white spot cure'. not sure if that is needed as a half dose but i would reccomend it and see how they go, up it if it doesnt improve but make sure you keep watching them for a while after you add the meds just to make sure they dont have any reactions to it :wink: