Betta Splendens

BenAKL

We have just got a Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta Splendens) a couple of days ago. I have just noticed that there are a couple of splits in its fins. :cry:

Is this normal? I have read in several websites that the fins could have been split by sharp objects in the tank, but I just don't see any in the tank.

Could the fish be stressed? I don't think it's fins are nipped by other fish. We've got a dwarf gourami, which seems to be ok with the fighting fish, and a couple of khulis and a couple of bristlenoses.

I don't know if its true in your case or not but if you have a male bristlenose then it could be him. I have had a number of guppies who have haid their tails sliced and I couldn't figure out why untill I sat there watching for an hr and discovered what was happening.

My male bristlenose will sit at the upper edge of his cave and when ever a fish swam by he would stick out his spikes and in turn would catch the male guppies tails and put clean slices through them. This would only happen when the male is trying to get the female to breed with him and just after eggs have hatched.

I don't know if that is what could be happening in your tank but it could be something to consider.

Some melafix in the tank and my guppies tails were back to normal in a few days.

Hope you sort out whats happening soon.

Cheers

PeneJane

I agree with melafix, it is an excellent product and a natural remidy as well, It is a multi cure that will fix most problems with ease. It can also be used with Pimafix for a full range remidy.

Here is a site I found describing Melafix and Pimafix, and also the Betta Fix that Bruce below is talking about which is also a natural remidy, and some other treatments.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category37_1.htm