Tiger barbs!

Caper

I bought 5 of them for my new tank...I just love them :bounce: :bounce:

Now I did read up on them, actually I still am :o but I wanted to check with the wise fishy people here, is there anything I should know about them? I know they are fin nippers. Right now, all I have in with them is my 3 red eye tetras.

Keeping in mind this is only a 29 gallon (110L) tank, what else can I put in there. I know I can put mollies, platies...don't have much to choose from here. One place I read on the net said you could put gouramis in with them & the red eyes...another place, no.

I would like to get something different if I can but not if the poor fishies are going to get nipped!

Thanks all wise fishy people :bounce: :bounce:

I love tiger barbs but I have mine on their own - just the barbs and a few bristlenoses. I have heard they are less likely to bother other fish when there is a group of them but I'm not giving them the chance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Jude

I have heard they are less likely to bother other fish when there is a group of them

I did read that somewhere Jude. So far they seem to be doing well with the red eyes, haven't noticed any aggressive behavior thus far. Although, I have learned that fish are sometimes like babies when you're telling someone they can do this or do that, that's the time they won't! :o

My poor sailfin molly that I had, when I got him the lady at the store said that he'd be aggressive, but he never was! But yet, the first time I had a "regular" mollies, they told me they wouldn't be aggressive & they turned out to be the fish from H*LL :evil:

I love all the fishies that I have...but would like to try something different if possible that is why I asking about gouramis.

How many do you have Jude?

I once had 6 in a tank with just a pleco, and after a while one of them had his tail partly nipped off. So you can't be sure by putting them by themselves. I assume the nipped one was the weakest of the lot, but could not be sure. And I never knew whether the nipping was done by one tiger or several. I doubt whether I'll ever try tigers again!

Hi Caper,

I have just put 9 Tiger Barbs into my 4ft Community Tank, they have been in there for a couple of weeks now and I haven't had any problems with them at all.

Maybe the bigger the group, the more they seem to keep each other amused.

I think it would be nice to have just a Tankies full of Tiger Barbs as Jude has as these are colourful little Fishies and a big group of them on there own would look really effective.

Good Luck

Lynda

Okie dokie...I'm getting the feeling that its best NOT to put other fishies in with them.

But what about my red eye tetras? I mean I alread took them out of the other tank because of my guppies, do you think the red eyes will be ok?

I'm still reading up on them but getting a little confused *now there's a surprise :-? *. Beside the tiger barbs there are other kinds as well, rosy, tinfoil...what else, aren't there green ones too?

Getting nervous...from what I read, I knew they were fin nippers, but I must have misunderstood because I thought they were only a "threat" to fishies with long fins. I didn't realize that they were considered agressive.

Now, I there is one thing I've learned is that some fishies behavior isn't always what its supposed to be, meaning that sometimes fish that are labelled agressive, some have had experience that there not & vice versa if you know what I mean :-?

Sooooo, do you think that they will be ok with my red eyes?

I have 8 tiger barbs

4 golden barbs

4 sm kissing gouramis

2 sm blue rams

1 re tailed shark

1 very Large Featherfin Sydontis

All get on well. The barbs are no problem. The tigers and golds school together (I was told they wouldn't)

When the gouramis are kissing The tiger barbs sometimes look like wanting to play the same game. Very comical. They add lovely moving colour to the tank.

Mind you I have a 300 L corner unit.

I have had mine in with Widow Tetras, Gouramis, Mollies, and other fish, and still not had a problem, I also have a Featherfin Catfish (Synodontis Eupteros) and they dont have a chance at getting to his fins as he will eat them if they get to close.

Keep them in a group of 6 or more and they will be fine.

Hi Caper,

I have my Tiger Barbs in a Comm Tankies with Black Neons, WCMM, Zebra Danios, Gouramis, Angels, Golden Barbs, Kribs, Rosy Barbs and lots of other Fishies.

My Tiger Barbs never seem to bother the other fishys at all.

As I said before, maybe the bigger the group of Tiger Barbs the better they will be, as they all seem to stick together in their own little group.

Good Luck with yours. :wink::wink::wink:

Lynda

IMHO - Clown loaches! I love my clown loaches, they are easily my all time favourite fresh water tropical fish. They are attractive, and entertaining to watch. They are a shoaling fish, but strangely I've always had success with just two clown loaches (probably just happens to be the optimum number for my 180l tank).

Clown loaches are also a fantastic fish to put in with Tiger Barbs, because they like to shoal together. This is perhaps because of their similar colourings (both are orange with black stripes).

I have a community tank including angels so I can't have TBs at the moment (TBs are fin nippers), but I think a tank full of clown loaches and tiger barbs would look spectacular.

It seems to me that (just like people) different fish have different personalities (fishonalities?) Caper, I can only suggest that you watch your tank carefully and have a backup plan - if your tigers start nipping other fish, what will you do? Do you have another tank you can transfer them to?

The other thing is to make all the fish feel as secure as possible - plenty of them (as they're a social fish), plenty of swimming room and plenty of places for them to duck out of sight behind plants etc.

Good luck! Tiger barbs certainly are pretty and active. And the mossy-green ones are just as gorgeous!

I have recently introduced one largish and 2 small angels to my comm tank which has a shoal of Tiger & gold barbs.

So far no probs. The angels are quite aloof and the barbs take no notice whatsoever they just go on playing & buzzing around the place.

I'm wondering how a pair of clown loaches wold go with my lot.

I have 280L corner unit.

6 tiger barbs

4 gold barbs

4 small kissing gouramis

1 tiger loach

2 blue rams

1 red tailed shark

2 albino cats

3 angels

1 large featherfin synodontis

One small problem I have is that we have 2 fish retailers in town and both often offer opposing advice regarding compatibility

Poppy, I think a pair of clown loaches would be fine with your other fish. I've kept CLs with angels, tiger barbs, blue acaras, oscars, plecostomus, kribensis, danios, silver sharks. They are a good community fish, not at all aggressive, but are able to fend for themselves if bullied (within reason obviously).

i wouldnt get them if you can only get a pair, theyre schooling fish and do best in groups of at least 3, 5+ being best and make sure you have alot of places for them to jam themselves in to scare you and also to hide :lol: keep in mind you will either need a large tank down the line or might have to get rid of them, they are slow growers but they max out at around 30cm :o they love snails also so if you have any you dont want chuck em in there :wink:

It seems to me that (just like people) different fish have different personalities (fishonalities?)

:lol: :lol: But, I think you are right! I've been reading about the barbs and peoples experiences with them :o :-?

Now I'm eve more undecided about what to put in with them, more barbs or something else!

Now, what about algae eaters with the barbs? I'd really like to get some ottos if, and that is a BIG IF, I can get them, but do you think they'd be ok with them, opinions please :bow::bow:

Oh, and when I was going to different fishy places on the net...I have come to the conclusion that my pleco is a "common" pleco...found some pics that look just like Chong :P

I have tiger Barbs ( 6 ) kept with other fish but all the others are also Barbs, its a nice sight to see Tiger , albino tiger , black ruby, golden and odessa barbs all together , all about the same size makes a great looking and largeish school :)