Japanese fire bellied newts

Hi Alan

Newts are incredibly easy to keep as long as you follow similar maintenance to fish, clean water, good food and appropriate environment. There is an excellent book by TJ Thornton on newts, she's a New Zealander and it's specifically written for us :D One thing though, I wouldn't heat your water, these guys enjoy a colder climate, in fact egg laying starts in autumn, generally after a cold snap I'll find eggs in my tanks. I run air stones into the tanks with young babies just to keep the water moving and have sponge filters with my adults. They like the filters but dislike strong currents. A good rule for water / land is 2/3rds water and 1/3 land, as the newts get older they seem to prefer the water and of my 15 adults I only have 2 who climb up into the plants regularly. Food wise, anything moving that they can fit in their mouths they'll enjoy. I feed mine larvae, daphnia, wingless fruit flies, white worms (in moderation) and frozen bloodworm so they get lots of variety. Any other questions fire away and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers Rebecca

To clarify the above. If feeding live daphnia, mosquito larvae or blood worms do you just put them in the pond or do you feed them in a little dish on land. Excuse the stupid questions but I would like to look after them properly and hopefully breed them later. I have turtles (which feed in the water) are these the same? If feeding frozen food do you put it in the water or feed them on land? Thanks for your help.

Hi guys, nope most food into the water, you'll be amazed how fast they can move if they see bloodworms or white worms going into the water! I thaw the frozen stuff first, for me that's because one cube will do 4 tanks but any extra just give to your fish or turtles, they'll love it :bounce: With the fruit flies I tip them in the water but they climb out and go all over the place, you'll see a newt sitting there with 6 or 7 on him, then a few minutes later there's only 3 or 4 :wink: They will eat out of water but only live food in my experience and seem to be more active feeders in the water. hope this helps. I currently have 25 babies who've all just changed and they're great to watch as little groups.

Cheers Rebecca

Thanks for that, a great help. These ones I have are 30mm. How long before they change and how old would they be at 30mm? Do they take the age from when they change or when they hatch, and how old are they before they will breed? Sorry about all the questions, want to learn as much as poss before they arrive on the weekend.

Okay, at 30mm they're young, normally change takes place between 3 & 4 months but I've found that the more food that is available the quicker they seem to change. Have never written dates down tho' but I know 3 months after they start hatching is when I start getting the covered tanks ready. So they're probably between 2 or 3 months but their breeder should be able to be more precise.. I've heard they can breed at 2 years but found mine laid infertile eggs at that age with only about 10% fertility, by 3 years though you should be away with a rip and a roar :bounce:

Cheers Rebecca