Quiet High Volume Air Pumps - any recommendations?

Dark

Currently i'm running a large air setup through 13mm garden hose with 6mm bleeders to each of my tanks running off a 120 litre per minute air pump.

the problem i have is the noise level - the pump is working correctly and has had a couple of mods made to it to make it quieter, but is still loud enough to be heard at the other end of the house if the doors are left open (or even with the doors closed when the house is quiet at night)

i've looked into options including my current favourite, which is sealing it in a box with insulation and sound-proofing, and burying it in my back yard... ok, so without the burying bit... i then start to get worried about overheating issues and i'm not actually going to know how well this will work before i try it.

i looked briefly into other options, like so-called 'silent' air compressors, as used in dentist labs etc, but these all run rather loudly as well, the only benefit being that they only run half the time because of their reservoir tanks.

ideally i would like to be able to get about 120l/m of air with around as much noise as a normal air-pump, or perhaps a quiet fridge... not a freaking motorcycle!

what do you other insane-pump-needers use?

i'm using a resun aco-008 - and you don't need to tell me how ^#$&% it is!

Buy one of these...ndo-1.jpg

If the door to the garage is closed then you can't hear it through the rest of the house.:)

Seriously though, Try a small cabinet or similar with some foam padding around the inside. Worth a try, otherwise just turn the TV up to drown out the sound..

Is this the one??

http://cgi.ebay.de/Beluefter-Durchlueft ... otohosting

If so, sell it for what you can get to some other unsuspecting critter, and invest your ill gotten gains in a pump similar to "The Pump"

I have one but it's to dark to wake up the fish yet to check out it's credentials, I'll could let you know latter.

I can tell it's on cause I can hear the bubbles in the tank.

If I want to be really sure, I feel the pump for vibrations.

So all you'd need to do to alliviate the vibes is to stick it onto some low density polystyrene.

Alan 104

it is indeed... right down to the engrish instructions

If so, sell it for what you can get to some other unsuspecting critter, and invest your ill gotten gains in a pump similar to "The Pump"

I have one but it's to dark to wake up the fish yet to check out it's credentials, I'll could let you know latter.

[snip]

i'd love to know what a 'the pump' is - people keep talking about the 'the pump' and pointing to things that are similar to 'the pump' but i still don't know what it is :)

ira:

lol - then i'd need a pair of earmuffs for when i'm in the room! i'll get some pink fluffy ones for when you come over :)

i'm almost finished building the box it is going in and even though it is made out of 40mm fire-stop door timber and to be sealed with silicone and lined with foam, i don't hold high hopes that i won't be able to hear it afterwards.

Maybe try lining the inside of the Box with Sound Proof Batts, I thinkies I may have some Lying around if you wanted some.

certainly would be intresting to try out - my main concern with the soundproofing idea is that the box is going to end up this big (waves arms in the air) because of all the padding

how thick are those batts?

the plans are for a box just over foot cubed in size - 330/330/380mm - which only allows about 40mm for padding on the inside without cramming the motor in place - and even then i'm sure it will overheat in no time.

You're going to need to fan-cool the pump as well provide enough air for the tanks you're supplying. I really don't think putting it in a box that small it feasable or even safe. Best shell out the $300+ for "The Pump" as most of us end up doing in the end. FYI, The Pump is the one that we spoke with Graeme about at Hutt Pets that day. It's what he uses on his tanks - sits on top of the first row. Quiet as a mouse and worth every penny was a unanimous review from everyone I've known that has one.

Problem is, I'm not sure who makes them or if they're even available any more...

Just looked at the pic of your pump Dark.

Those fins on the casting are not just there for good looks you know... they are there to "Disapate Heat"

Enclosing it in a box may solve the noise.. but you "could" be creating a fire hazzard.

Bill.

You're going to need to fan-cool the pump as well provide enough air for the tanks you're supplying. ...

fan = large hole in box = place for noise to escape

the inflow will be piped into the box and the pump will draw air from inside the box - at 120 litres per minute, which is a lot more than an 80mm fan provides, i believe it will provide enough concentrated air-flow to keep the pump 'cool'. considering it already runs at about 40-50degC under normal operation i can only test it out and see.

i'll take this opportunity to point out that i'm not going to seal it up and leave it - i'll be checking it every 15 minutes for the first week to make sure i'm not creating a fire hazard :)

having said that, the wood i'm making the box from is from fire-stop doors with a burn time rating of 3 hours, and the only thing that could catch on fire inside the box will be the heat-resistant foam padding :)

and again with the 'the pump' - there is no such product! or at least, i can't find one labeled as such. the one graeme is running is the 'the pump' according to him, but chris downs is also running a 'the pump' but it is from a different manufacturer (and cost him about $600 at stock price - the $300 (retail) ones are loud look-alikes). even the one the LHPC runs is loud - it can be heard from the front of the building, which is basically my problem at home.

with the increase in heated air you could be doing two things at once.

heating the tanks with air and providing air

you know, this actually works rather well - the temperature of the pump does keep the tanks marginally higher in temperature than without - by about 0.5 - 1degC

i thought about running the output of the 'not the pump' through copper pipes placed around the heat-fins, but aside from all the work required for an experiment, it could potentially heat the air up to 50degC, which would not be very clever of me :)

this is what i have:

http://www.resun-china.com/products/english/dcskqb%20B-008.htm

these the same manufacturers versions of the 'the pump':

http://www.resun-china.com/products/english/LP%20A-01.htm

Alans pump manufacturer was nice enough to specify the dB rating of the models - resun on the other hand do not, which is a shame as it is the only specification i want to compare!

another website (http://www.beautykoi.nl/hailea_assortiment.htm) with a suspiciously similar product to that of my manufacturer, seems to rate their suspiciously similar pumps at '<60dB'.

i'm starting to think my original idea of burying it in the back yard is not as bad as i thought...

The pump name (even on the ReSun site) usually tell you the output. LP-60 means 60lph a minute, etc. A 60lpm output can run 14 outlets, 100 can run 33 according to the resun specs. Oh, it actually states the lpm on the pump specs on the resun site, btw.

If anyone is keen to get a Yasunaga LP-60A like Alans I've been priced at $275 inl GST. They have smaller pumps available from 30lpm to 60lpm. There's only a $25 difference between the 30 and 60 so I'm pretty sure the 60 would be the preferred choice of most. Please keep in mind that the pumps weigh 6kgs each, so shipping will be $15 NI but SI Freight will be more.

Where would you be getting it from Blue? What would the backup and availablility of parts be like? And what would we do if we found they were noisy after all? I am interested but feeling a bit cautious as well.

Cheers

Jude

I'd be getting it straight from the manufacturer and I should really check on warranty info and stuff, didn't even occur to me. Parts are readily available as these are a current model and haven't changed in YEARS though they did change the model number from A-60A to LP-60A. Same pump though. As for being noisy - you'd just have to ask people like Alan for reviews but the manufacturer states that the 30A makes about 30db and the 60A 35db. This is a VERY quiet ticking.

Alan - completely agree. I've seen these things run rooms and rooms of tanks. 60lpm means 3600lph. Pretty impressive.

So, I should be able to put it out on the deck and run airlines into the tanks in the house?

I was thinking of taking them under the house and up through the floor to the tanks - would that work?

Alan said 14 lines and I can't imagine me ever needing more than that.

Cheers

Jude

Actually, the under the house idea is exactly what I plan on doing. Better than the deck as it's more protected from the elements. My main reason for putting it under the house is to keep fresh air blowing in the fish room during the winter months when I have the door closed and the window sealed up. Air gets stale rather quickly and it's an idea I got from seeing a breeder friends setup. He runs one of "The Pumps" as well.

there are versions of the same 'the pump' pumps available in NZ - there are also OEM versions available that don't have all the pretty housing around them.

these pumps all operate the same way that my loud one does - they are called 'linear pumps' because they have a piston that moves back and forth inside them.

the smaller the pump rating, the smaller the moving parts inside, thus creating less noise and less overall vibration - the large versions of 'the pump' which pump 120litres/minute or more have a dB (noise) rating only slightly lower than that of models comparable to mine.

to save importing and ordering stuff, it might just be worth checking out the pumps that your LFS has - these 'the pump' and 'not the pump' pumps are all created from the same design(s), and most of them are manufactured in the same plant, just with different branding on them depending on who comissioned the product run.

in essence, it doesn't matter what brand you get, they are probably all exactly the same :)

Oh no! Now I am getting confused. I've tried heaps of different pumps - the diaphragm ones and the noise of them drives me crazy. I've been wanting the one that Alan has for ages because he says its so quiet but IF the cheaper ones are just as quiet then why spend more money than I have to?

Blue, I'm not sure if you've seen my deck - it has a roof and 3 walls and is very protected from the elements. Plus it has power which I don't have under the house .......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

My head aches

All this discussion and now I'm more confused than before :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers

Jude

the pump is now spending the rest of its life in a box considering all possible meanings of the words 'silent as the grave'.

well after a week or so of *cough* dedicated *cough* construction time, i have managed to construct a housing for the pump.

because i am lazy there are no pictures of this, so here is a no-so-accurate description of my box:

length: 380mm

height: 330mm

width: 330mm

materials: 40mm thick fire-stop doors

contents: one resun aco-008 air pump (120l/m)

additional features: LRF support (courtesy of Packard Bell)

making the box was easy, although i discovered too late that i double-checked all my measurements EXCEPT the size of the pump - as a result there is no room at the back of the pump for sound-proofing - and thanks to luck this is not a concern at all.

the hardest part of the construction was the creation of the cross bulk-head connector - sounds impressive (or dumb) but basically translates as follows:

i didn't want to have a hole in the front of the box for the air-hose to come out of - i wanted a 13mm air-hose connector (hosetail) on the box which was internally attached to the pump.

the problem was the 13mm hosetail wasn't designed to attach to wood, so a piece of pipe was set into the hole and the hose-tail was threaded into that. from the inside a second, nylon, pipe was run from the back of the hosetail to the hosetail on the pump.

after talking to the pneumatic techs that sell me all my robotics gear, they advised that the pump wouldn't care if it heated up to about 100degC - although i believe them i wouldn't say the same for the wood, so we devised a simple air-intake system that would cool the pump without the need for additional materials like fans.

a series of holes were drilled through the wood at angles underneath the pump - the idea being as follows:

the pump will pump 120l/m of air which can only come in through those holes as the rest of the box is sealed. at 0.04bar pressure (getting scientific here) the flow rate through the holes would be [blah] and would create a fan-like effect with air spiraling in around the base of the pump.

because the pump has cooling fins on it already, and all the circuitary for the pump is mounted underneath, the heat should transfer to the air, and warm air would then pass through the pump and out - into the tanks.

despite my belief that it would explode or catch on fire, the internal temperature of the box with the pump under load has never risen above 60degC - only slightly higher than it was running before.

the damn thing is about as loud as a very small air-pump and is doing about 120 times more output.

so, even though there are quiet air-pumps available, i can recommend getting a cheap loud one and putting it inside a box to block the vibrations and sound it creates.

i will let you all know if it does catch on fire, but while i was constructing it i did realise that it makes an excellent stool, so if worst comes to worst (assuming i still have a box) i'll have a great piece of functional furniture :)

I know this is an old thread but I'm new here. :-)

I had two pumps that may well have been A 100A'a. I'm not sure, I got them from Brooklands as I was a wholesale customer of theirs. They were silver in colour and would run about 25 tanks each. I also had a different brand, gold coloured one that Rolf Jansen gave to me at cost. Believe it or not, it was around a grand! (I saw the paperwork, it was brand new, his back-up pump). One of these pumps used to run the whole of his first shop and still have air bled off. I'd conservatively estimate that it was capable of 80 fast-running outlets. I believe that the gold one was a "The Pump", the biggest model made, the other two silver ones were copies.

Man did those things move some air! I had them all hooked up to a "ring main" made out of 40mm PVC piping that ran around my fishroom, the idea being built-in redundancy, the big one on it's own would probably have done the job. They used about 60-80 watts of electricity each, hardly got warm and you had to listen to hear them. They had big rubber feet and as long as they were on a firm surface were almost silent.

They worked on the "electomagnetic linear motor" principal with a reciprocating armature attached at each end to polypropolene laminate diaphrams. Very quiet and very efficient.

As a release valve for all the excess air I had I made up a 2m length of 110mm drain pipe, with an end-cap glued on, with a 10mm PVC pipe running into the bottom of it. I kept it almost full of water to supply enough back-pressure (Had a clear bit of pipe on the outside coming from the bottom as a gauge). It bubbled away merrily, I had to keep topping it up every few days. It served to bleed off the excess airflow without putting too much back-pressure on the pumps. The enemy of diaphram pumps is too much back-pressure.

Alas, I "lost" the big one and sold the two smaller ones very cheaply to a local fishkeeper cheaply after my business went down and I was desperate for money.

I don't know if Brooklands still carry the model they had, I don't think they sold a lot of them.

He he. Bit late bit still......

never late - two days makes no difference :)

always interesting to hear what other people have, which was kinda my original intention for this topic!

so when you say quiet, are we talking small air-pump quiet, or fridge quiet, or tractor quiet? ;)

i'm not overly impressed with the noise of the linear pumps - ideally i want something that i could install in a church, or babies room - no sound at all. i'm probably dreaming :)