fat female betta

2fishy

What you have heard is correct, with Betta's anyway. :bow:

The female does not need to breed and will just absorb the eggs back into her body. I have never seen the eggs being shed by an unpaired Betta.

The same does not apply to a lot of the common community tank fishes.

Pencil fish for example become eggbound and cant breed.

Good Luck and Keep breeding fighters......

THE COUNTRY NEEDS PLENTY :roll:

ok what if the female can see a male? Would she still absorb the eggs she produces is she isn't mated? As at present my female has run of the tank while the males are in breeding traps. She has started to fatten up again and I am worred that she may get egg bound and die.

What is the best situation for this?

Cheers

Hi Penejane

If the female can see the male/s then maybe she should be bred with.

In all my years with Betta's I keep the females all together in a tank away from the boys. The females cant see the boys from their tank.

I assume that you have the tanks side by side.

If that is the case I'd try sliding a piece of BLACK CARDBOARD between the tanks.

Or, if you have the space....Join in and breed them.. :hail:

Everybody is breeding Betta's at present so the shops are going to be giving them away when you buy anything else off them. :lol:

I've had a case where I kept the female in a breeding trap while the male in the tank was working away building a nest. I could see the female was plump and full of eggs but wasn't sure when to release her. After a few days, she started just dropping her eggs and devouring them as they dropped. At that point, I quickly released her and the breeding process went along as expected. So I guess, when the female is egg-laden but cannot breed, she will drop her eggs anyway. And since they are so nutritious, its better to eat them than to let them rot away :D

well my tank has 3 males in it and one male. The tank is divided into two. One side being 1/3 and the other side 2/3 in size. My big red male that I have recently breed with is in the 1/3 side with 3 zebra danios. The other two males are in breeding traps in the 2/3 section where the female betta is along with 2 female mollies. My female betta has run of the tank (2/3 section) and can swim up to the males as she pleases. I currently don't have the space to breed these two at present. I need at least a heater! lol. But I was wanting to know with this setup would the female become egg bound or will she still absorb the eggs. I would love to breed these two as this is my crowntail betta that she is with and is often showing off back to.

But they just have to wait lol

:bounce:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...it has been ages since I psted here...and in my absence we have bred sme beautiful fighters.....

My remaining adult female fighter (original mother died...this is her sister)...has spawned at least nce pssibly twice (got the girls mixed up)....and is now abnormally large ...at first I just thought she was full of eggs.... she is not remotely interested in spawning...and has become distorted in size....she is the mst odd shaped fish I have ever seen and I wuld be reluctant to breed from her now even if she was interested. But what is wrong with her? I thought maybe she was egg-bound...nw I am wondering if she has some sort of internal growth....once this last week she was struggling to swim as she appeared to be full f air and kept popping up t the surface...then she would sink in the back end where she has become so ridiculously round. She is not ff her food and otherwise seems happy. She shares a tank with her young growing nieces and nephew. I have wondered if i should euthanese her....but while she is happy this seems unnecessary....there is definitely something wrong with her though.