planted tank

mat692

Can anyone tell me where to get some decent soil/base for my planted tank (cheap or free from a river :wink: )?. the plants are looking sad and Im going to try to do it properly this time. just ordered 2 BIOLUX 58w tubes (5ft) 2L of flourish and some algae rid (gettin green stones and leaves-Yu :wink: ck :cry

Should I start with new plants ore can plants recover/theyre not dead or falling to bit just lost there exubirance :D

me and a mate went up to the river on the kamais to get 40L of sand....looks awesome in his tank, and goes nicely with the plants too.

Your plants will be fine being transferred, although if you have crypts, their leaves will probably die away..but not to worry, they will grow back :D

i buy aquarium mix either from living waters or pick-a-pet. i then buy plasterers sand from Benchmart in Te Puke for about $5 a 25 kg bag. it just needs a GOOD wash first lol.

im sure you could find plasterers sand over there somewhere.

good lighting is the key, and maybe even Co2 if you want

good luck

**EVIL**

I would use pool filter sand instead of plasterers sand. Pool filter sand is not as fine so will not pack down to form a "brick" in the bottom of your tank (im shure there is a propper word for it), and will not alter the ph like some builders/plasterers sand will. As for price, i got 35kg for $20, so not to much extra

Pool filter sand is too sharp for the plant roots and will irritate the mouths of most fish. It is crushed stone with quite sharp edges. It's designed like this to help trap the dirt and be a better filter. Pool shops will tell you to replace the sand after so many years as it loses it's edge and is not as effective.

You want 2-4mm gravel. Plasterers sand would be alright if you can put the sand over a fine mesh to remove the grit and very small particles so only 2mm and bigger stones are left. The grit and fine sand may pack down and seal off sections...

i was the one who reccomended plasterers sand to rogan, ive used it for about six months or so in my axolotl tank with no significant ph/gh/kh changes (ie only natural ones that would happen in any tank, small swings). it is rather thin in that tank but in my planted tank i also have that about 1.5-2cm thick, its going to be quite heavily planted so the roots will help to combat any anerobic pockets plus i can give it a small 'forking' every now and then just in case, ive found it doesnt settle too thick but i am keeping my eye on it thats for sure! IMO sand takes a bit more care than gravel but i think it looks more natural :wink:

I've used black pool filter sand, but it does say on the side "fine grade." Have had no worries using it in corydora only tanks and with discus. Looks nice but I just use a little so it doesn't compress. It was about $10 for 15kg.

Hi Matt, I get mine from Lake Rotoma by the boat ramp.

Best time to get it is after there has been a storm come in from the south through to the west.

It sorts itself into the grades that you require.

From sand to 5mm.

Alan 104

hey DJ, you can buy 40kg (i think) of brightwater (dark grey stone) for $25 from Hollywood Fish farm in Auckland. Most LFS gravel is pretty pricey for the quantity aye, like expensive laterite in those small packs lol.