Skimmer Maintance

slappers

Does anyone clean there skimmer, has in the main chamber itself

not yet, but mine isnt that dirty. i have seen some peoples with coralline, algae, etc growing in skimmer body. ill probably do mine before it gets to that stage, not sure how much difference it would make though. my tank seems to keep me busy with other chores, so unless it was really bad i dont think id get around to it.

I cleaned mine right out and found I had to run it in again. Reckon its cause it needed to rebuild slime coating so in the future I'm going to leave it till its looking pretty sad.

I have read that too, did it take very long to run in again?

I'd agree with the once a year thing also.

A while back I cleaned mine & it had everything in it even feather dusters and it still worked OK. Soaked it in vinegar for a few days to dissolve everything. I think they should be cleaned once a year just as a matter of good housekeeping.

A little off topic, but i just connected a surface skimmer to my skimmer(no overflow or sump).

What a difference in skimmate, heaps darker, and much more foam production, took a little juggling to get them both running together nicely though.

I use an Aqua clear surface skimmer, i didnt think it was going to work at first, but after a bit of fiddling its going, and going well. They are a bit of a pain, but if you dont mind a bit of playing around, they are really good.

Its worth not having the surface build up , it was getting so bad i was getting cyno growing on the surface :evil:

If thats the case then I might give it a miss the surface and water in my tank is crystal clear, also have really good water parametres and skimmer is pulling enough gunk from tank, but it is a good idea and stoked it works for you :D

wow, just gave the APF a birthday clean, small air pipe below the pump was clean, I thought :oops: , nice small hole for air until I realised that it should be a nice big hole and it was in fact full of calcium. Amazed that the skimmer was still working so well, other than I was giving it full air.

The difference is staggering....