fines filter

tel

whats a good really really fine filter i could ''drop'' my sump feed through to catch really fine mobile crap? ive lowered sump water so display overflow feed to sump can drop through filter setup. tried filter wool and stockings but these dont seem to catch it. any advice appreciated. :) i'm basically looking to clean out alot off crap in an easy fashion that i would otherwise have to turn off all pumps, let settle and vacuum.

A diatom filter will remove all of that, and even get down to what is termed"polishing" the water.They are a bit hard to get in NZ now as they were a fairly expensive item but IMHO well worth it. They can be seen advertised in American magazines still and maybe you'd be able to get on on E-bay or Aqua Bid.

Alan 104

was thinking about a canister filter to run occasionally, but if i can get something fine enough, my tankwater would drop through it at at 2700lts/hr anyway.??anything out there finer than wool.( i'd discard it regularly of course)

ok..nothing better to do sunday...plastic box that hangs on side, 2x layers filter wool,1x layer new t/towel, 2x layers stocking :)

oh... also cool plastic steps to access tank :oops: saves standing on the dining chairs.

There's a crowd in Ak that will sell by the metre, filter felt in varying filter capacities from 1micrometre to about 50. I use 1 and 5 occasionally for 1/2 a day to brighten the water - works great - and then discard the felt. You don't need much, and it's very cheap. I'll try to dig out the name of the place this evening.

awesome if you can.thanks.

currently just dropping thru std filter wool which takes out a bit but could be alot better. was thinking to do just as you said and discard after a day or so to avoid nitrates buildup. :)

This is what I am going to use:

https://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EA1351

I'm going to buy 7 of them and change them out each day. That way I can wash a few at a time and still have plenty of time to let them dry out.

That's what I've been using on my frag system Steve. There are 2 of them as they last around 2 weeks each, so I can change them when required. The only real way to wash them is in the washing machine.

BTW, they are made out of the same stuff as the commercial cloth vacuum cleaner bags.

i saw someone using these filter bags on an RC thread, looked to do the job but from memory he wasnt completely happy with them

Chim- What were some of the negative comments? I've also seen some posts of people not very happy, but it was usually because they had a hard time mounting them. This can easily be solved by adding a reducer to the end of your overflow piping though. I haven't bought them yet, so it would be good to know any problems before I shell out the $$.

Cheers, Steve

the name of the place is Filtercorp International, in Beach Haven Ackland. Email: akld "curly at symbol" filtercorp dot co dot nz. I dealt with a helpful guy called Miles. Minimum length to buy is a metre from memory which will last a while. I've used 1 and 5 micron for over a year and from that experience I recommend it.

The biggest 'fines" filter I've seen in NZ is viewable to the public when they do a 'behind the scenes' tour at the Napier N AquariumIt is a monster diatom filter where the powder isn't measured by the spoon but by the bags.

Alan 104