strange convict habit

Wok

I was watching my convicts this morning after dosing the fry with BBS and saw that the mother was sucking in a fry into her mouth and then spitting it out. :o

She went round systematically sucking in each one and then spitting them out.

Anyone know why?

thought it was rather strange :-?

Apparently Paul that is a method of cleaning the babies, it's not tasting them.

Also you will have noticed that the parents shifted the babies in the wriggler stage to different pits.

It is believed that this is a protection from predation and also washing them, and again, getting them away from a old nest that may be contaminated.

Alan 104

Ours have just had babies a couple of days ago, I have taken out at least 1/3 of them to grow up and trade, and the rest can stay in my tank for live food once seperated. I know it's mean, but I dont want to be over run by them...

Mine also suck them up and spit them out, They also do it to protect the babies, and to move them back to the pit if they get to far a way..

I have noticed that they will suck them up when they stray to far from the cave / pit but have not seen it for quite a while until now, so thought it was strange.

I did joke to my wife that they were getting a bath :lol:

i saw an angel pick up her stray babies and chuck them back into her 'nest', i thought she was having a snack :o so i wouldnt worry unless you dont see em come back out!

I did joke to my wife that they were getting a bath

mmmm fish slobber :lol: