cbb & lmb

chimera

finally got myself one of my fav fish, a little CBB. hes currently in my refugium til he learns to feed, not overly shy either and comes up to the glass. once hes feeding ok, he'll go into the display tank.

also got a lawnmower blenny who will remain in the fuge. plenty of algae in there to keep him happy :D interesting fella, love watching blennies they have classic personalities! he is a BIG blenny, probably 4" long and fat! :D

Will see if i can get some pic's up later. Any tips on keeping these guys?

:( Me to. They do eat a lot and your right about personalities they have a heap of that. Very cool. And the copperbands very nice they look amazing.But are very hard to keep good luck with that one. I take my hat off to anyone who can get them to feed. Sounds like your doing everything right Keep us updated some pics would be nice . What colour is your LMB?

• 3 weeks later...

:evil: found cbb dead last night. stuck to the side of a seio in the fuge. im pretty sure it is that that killed him as he was eating, was starting to get fatter and had generally looked in good health earlier that morning. he was a very small cbb though and probably not a very strong swimmer, death by seio suckulation. grrr. i am still going to get another cbb at some stage, probably one a little bigger though :-?

interestingly, i have also found my BIG (6" across?) blue tang stuck to the side of my stream before, had to give him a little push to free himself. and lastly, a small blue chromis i had died about 18 months ago stuck to the side of the overflow. go figure.

Sorry about you loss. I once lost a CBB to my overflow. I had him for well over a month and he was well settled in so I assume it was just that. This was befoe I had any protection on the overflow and what prompted me to add some.

Steve

because there is bugger all flow through the fuge right now. in fact very little goes through it, only about 1,000lph from the display overflow or 3 times fuge turnover (fuge is about 300 litres) more specifically, i need some water movement because 1. there are some frags in there and 2. more flow means less build up of crud in the corners. there is much debate about how much flow your fuge should have, some say very little some say it doesnt matter. i dont really think it matters, would opt for more than less. its not like pods hang out in quiet corners of the ocean :D since my chiller is gravity fed from the overflow, when i turn the chiller off and "tap it off" over winter, more flow will go through the fuge.

btw, why cant we edit our posts now? thats just dumb.

I see your point Chimera but not sure i agree. A refugium is supposedly just that, a refuge, safe are where pods can multiply and macro algae can grow in conditions that suit them best. You have told me before that you have bugger all pods and no mysid shrimp in your refugium. Too much flow????.

Sorry about the CBB, my rabbit fish got stuck to a stream just after i put him in. He's a bit stronger now, I hesitate to say wiser as he's a bit thick.

what did you add?

I just used the plastic netting material that you find around dive bottles. This was folded in half and tied with plastic tie wraps, then just sat over the lip of the overflow forming a mesh fence. In the current tank it is a lot simpler as I lay it across the overflow edge a bit like a T, with the top of the T sloping down slightly into the overflow. This not only stops fish going over the top but also prevents them from even getting closer than about 2-3cm. V’ small fish can still get past the end, as recently proved by a couple of baby Banggai cardinals.

Steve

I see your point Chimera but not sure i agree. A refugium is supposedly just that, a refuge, safe are where pods can multiply and macro algae can grow in conditions that suit them best. You have told me before that you have bugger all pods and no mysid shrimp in your refugium. Too much flow????.

and i counter-disagree :D its been at 3 times turnover for overflow throughput for a while now (since chiller went in). the single seio is in the middle and there are 2 powerheads at one end pointing along the tank - these i turned off for several weeks and noticed no difference (in fact, algae and detritus build up got worse) i dont see how flow can make any difference to the growth in pods population (unless it was *excessive*) total turnover in fuge is quite low as it is. there are those with 20-30+ times turnover in their display tanks and they have thousands of pods.

interestingly, when i took the cbb out, i gave it a little shake to see if it was still alive and about half a doz pods came out of it :D must've been in for a feed. :-?

ok... I still don't agree but can understand your argument.

To me a true refugium is not for live rock filtration, nor frag growing, but at the risk of repeating myself, a safe quiet place for micro fauna and algae to bred and multiply. There should be an even steady flow, but not high random stream type flow. The sand shouldn't be disturbed by the flow either.

This is not something I made up, but read up on refugiums and make your own mind up. There is a lot of different views on it though.

Sorry to hear about the CB Chimera, what a bummer.

Once I lost a flame angel to a pump & I was pretty bummed for a couple of days, my wife was complaining about me being grumpy.

Losing a CB would probably be even worse.

I notice my CB goes into a quite corner at night and becomes very lethargic, it had occurred to me I better not ever let him be in the same tank with a risky pump, I could easily see it being sucked in. Actually if you put your hand over the intake of a pump, it is surprising how much force some of them have, for many fish there would be no way they could get of a reasonably powerful pump, once they were well and truly sucked onto it.