CO2 and spray bars

showtime

I've just put 2 nutrafin co2 systems into my 4 ft tank and have read not to have too greater water agitation on the surface. I run a fluval 103 and a 203 with spray bars into the tank which really stirs the water up. They are usually 1 to 2 inches above the water level. Looking in my manual it dosn't say where to have the spray bar. Is it better to have it under the surface?

Hi showtime,

As far as I know, the more movement you have on the water surface could mean faster loss of CO2, as the water is stirred up this releases the CO2 into the air instead of keeping it in the water where it needs to be for it to be able to do the job it was put in there for.

Maybe try moving the Spraybar abit below the water surface, see how that goes.

I'm sure there will be someone else out there that will be able to fill you in on some helpful info.

Happy Fishing :bounce: :bounce:

Lynda

Did your spray bar come with your Fluval's? Mine didn't so lucky you. Spraybars don't need to be 1 or 2 inches above the water - reposition them so it is under water a few inches. The only downside is that you will be able to see it in the tank. Be careful with that CO2 - keep a close eye on your fish especially first thing in the morning before the lights come on. You don't want dead fish and healthy plants!

Did your spray bar come with your Fluval's? Mine didn't so lucky you. Spraybars don't need to be 1 or 2 inches above the water - reposition them so it is under water a few inches. The only downside is that you will be able to see it in the tank. Be careful with that CO2 - keep a close eye on your fish especially first thing in the morning before the lights come on. You don't want dead fish and healthy plants!

Hi All

surface aditation is a must because if you notice carefully, all plants produces a thin layer of oil of the surface of the tank water. to me, it block the ray of light from my tube which is needed for the plant. that is why some aquarist uses surfaces skimmer. Eheim sell their surfaces skimmer too in order to stir the surface and keep it clear.

i agree with tankman to keep the outlet mounth piece one inches from the surface level but if possible tilt it upward.

in my opinion, the stronger the current, the longer the co2 stays in the water. the current is moving in spiral motion. it will twirl and some will go to the surface while the microscopic one will be twirling below. this is my observation.

if your fishes is all at surface level gasping for air, turn off the CO2 immediately.

cheers

Water has a greater affinity for O2 than CO2. An example of this is in water treatment. Some water supplies have a problem with too much iron, which is kept in solution in the ferrous state by acid conditions caused by dissolved CO2. If the water is aerated the CO2 is driven off and the iron oxidized to the ferric state which is pretty insoluble and drops out. Therefore aeration drives off CO2 in my opinion.

Except that O2 in saturation is only 9-10ppm where CO2 can be over 100ppm - very bad for fish.

Your staement is only true if airation is used as the CO2 content in the air is very low in relation to the O2 level. When adding CO2 it's possible to raise the level to the point where the fishes gills stop working as the CO2 in their blood can no longer diffuse out. The fish suffocate not from a lack of oxygen but from not being able to expel the CO2.

it will be very very nice if we have a living stream in our back yard. dug a big hole and build a small room with a glass panel watching on the plants growth and variety of colourful fish swimming by. Hello, i need to snap out and wake up.

the fish tank in our house is to assimilate as close as possible the living stream of live stocks. it need human intervention to made sure there are correct balance. we are fotunate we have modern gadget to go automation which early generation do have, yet keep the interest going.

unfortunate for the fishes and plants, our learning curve will cost them their live. it also cost us our pocket money. most suceed while other fail.

to me CO2 is essential but can also be lethal if not properly use and so are fish food we bought from LFS. CO2 brings down PH level and thus affect the KH and GH (Warren is good on this subject). healthy plant growth mean down with algae and fishes has a more natural habitate to growth, swim, hide and breed. some will grow old, eatten, got disease and some die without reason (mostly out of our ignorance from our part.)

sorry about the birds and the bees, i could not resist. :D:D:D

i am nt quite sure of that arguement, that the only source of CO2 come from the fish mouth. there must be other sources.

if not.

a few minutes of bad breath from our mounth, breathe into an air hose and out of the air stone would be sufficient to last a few hours of CO2 for the plant to get by.

Most CO2 in your tank will be a combination of bacterial action, decaying waste and fish and plant respiration. This is only because we have at least 1000x the fish concentration per litre in a tank.

In nature, the bulk comes from decay, bacterial action and plant respiration as there are nowhere near enough fish per litre to create the CO2 required.

I agree with Warren and I am not saying it is a bad thing, only that CO2 injection raises the leval of CO2 above what would occur in nature and creates unnaturally high levals (otherwise there would be no point) This then alters the natural equation and gives us other things which may have to be artificially altered. We are getting a long way from nature.