Progress report on my big tank

Kookie

Ok. Most of you know I got a large 2nd hand tank off TM.

First mission was to scrape the crappy blue paint off the back of the tank and re-paint it matt black. Looks primo.

Next mission was the stand, which has been welded together (thanks darling), primed and spray painted gloss black. The top and bottom boards screwed in place.

Stand is inside now, with tank on top.

We got our filters (Aqua One - CF-1000) the other day so have connected them up and placed them in the tank. We found the bio balls in the bottom to rattle around a bit with water flow, but we fixed that by putting them between a layer of filter wool, now they are totally silent.

Tank now has dark course sand (from Wainui beach) as substrate, a loverly piece of DW (from a river in the bush) for centre piece, is full of water and the cycle has started.

We bought some standard tube lights from Mitre10 which will be built into the hood. I will replace the tubes with ones suitable for plant growth.

One of the Jebo 300 watt heaters arrived yesterday (don't know what happened to the 2nd) so that is in the tank too, gently warming the water.

In a few days I will start planting in the tank.

Will add some pics soon.

Hi Lynda

I'm going to transfer my community fish into the big tank and hopefully add some kribensis, dwarf gourami, congo tetra and a few more catfish/pleco. Maybe a redtail shark. I might also buffer the schooling fish numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, no wonder you were so enthused about getting new plants, did they all go in this tank?

Yep they sure did. I had to remove a lot of the indian fern as it's growth rate has been prolific.

I don't use CO2 injectors or anything like that.

Must be the Wainui water lol.