Is this love or are they just bullys?- my goldfish!

Sharlene

Hi, please help as I'm a goldfish newbie, I've got an outdoor pond with 1x13cm white comet, 2x 10cm orange/white comets & 1x10cm black comet, they're all got really long tails. I've being trying to sex them but I'm just not sure, I think white & black are females? About once a month/today they are all chasing one of the orange ones around and around, pushing it along, pushing it to the surface, are they spawning or just being bullies? I thought goldfish only did it twice a year. The poor goldfish seems to be getting btired, its hiding in the weeds, I have a plastic cage I could put it in, in the pond for some rest. Will they still spawn through the gaps? I'm after all the advise you can give me please?

Hi there Sharlene,

I have been having a look at some other posts about sexing goldfish, apparently the male goldfish will get white spots on his gills around spawning time and the female will appear lot rounder than the male.

Are you able to petition off one side of your pond, with a piece of wire netting, perspex or something like that, to be able to give your poor wee goldfish a rest, soundz to me like he/she needs one.

Good Luck

Lynda

Lyndy is right abuot the males sometimes getting white spots by the gills when erady to bered and the females being fatter. Try looking at the fish from above. The males are all dead straight through the body to the tails but the females will be a little fatter on one side or the other making their tails look like they are off centre a bit.

The goldfish will attempt to spawn whenever the weather is warm enough - usually Nov - March.

If you have only one female in there then she will be getting exhausted. Try separating her if possible (they spawn and lay eggs on the underside of lily pads) or just keep an eye on her as the temp is starting to drop now so they should ease off the chasing soon.

They've stopped now, its confusing because the one that I think is female is the big white one, so I can't see white marks and its doing the chasing!? I'm going to definatley do some fish watching for the lopsided belly thing. I've got a water lily and oxygen weed so they've got something to spawn on. The white & black ones do have bulbous bodies, so I'm just confused. Pity though I'd like to add 1 more sex of whatevers missing? Stupid question but can I tell if male/female by looking underneath for 1 or 2 holes!? I'm going to get a square glass vase to catch and put each one in so I can look and take a photo of my precious babys. Also how long does it take to manually de-chloronate a chilly bin full of tap water, to add to both pond and my aquarium? s.p.c.a site says 2 days?

when my goldfish bred in my pond i thought they were going to kill her! i removed her from the pond to find eggs in the bowl she was in (didnt know what they were doing then) but the next time i got some cute little babies out of it. it looks very vicious i must say. not sure how to sex them.

aging water manually can take around 24 hours, if you want to be super dooper safe 48s ok. just chuck an airstone in the bin to get rid of the chlorine, do note that this doesnt get rid of chloramines, those take longer or need to have some sort of de-chlorinator added that specifcally removes that.