old tv- tank conversion

J1NX3D

Hi all

Wanting to get pro opinions.

I got an old early 80's (date of manufacture stamped as 05 MAY 1981!!) self standing tv that i've gutted and am turning into a tank. Anyone got any tips?

Im getting a piece of lexan moulded to the original screens curve to simulate the old tv screen. inside will just be a normal tank.

I was thinking of giving the lexan a slight tint to take the plasticy look out of it. will this be ok for the fish??

tia

picture0014oq.jpgpicture0047jz.jpg

picture0060zi.jpgpicture0073dw.jpg

picture0083kz.jpg

If anyone wants one of these TV's I have one sitting in my dads garage in Palmerston North to convert into a tank as well.. But im in Auckland and hes moving its too much hassle to move an old TV so its going to the dump anyway so if anyone wants it PM me and ill put you in contact with my dad..

In regards to the questions about the conversion I just made a normal straight edged fish tank in the last one I did and it looked ok but the moulded lexan should look even better, make sure you post pics when your done :) Good luck.

Hi Jinks,

Not knocking your project.. but there could be a number of probs you will have to sort out.

Access to the tank is one thing.. and the only decent method would be to have the top hinge upward to allow you access.

The other thing would be lighting.. as there is very little space above what will presumably be the waterline.. and even with thinline tubes they would be almost touching the water surface.

Also if you are using tube lights.. the ballast unit would need to be remotely mounted, but I suppose there is quite a bit of room in the lower cabinet area.. provided you consider leaks or breakages that might happen.

The condensation factor is also going to be pretty high in that small enclosed space.. so you may have to think about this also.

Bill.

You could consider having a light sitting on top of the cabinet.

You are going to need access to the top of the tank for cleaning, feeding purposes anyway, so if you cut out some of the top to allow for this, you could put a glass lid on the tank and put something like this

http://www.officedepot.com/products/Art ... ue/421408/

on top.

Don't ask me where you can get these in Nz, though, it's just to give you some ideas!!

interesting :) reminds me of a bankers lamp.

for feeding i was going to cut a removeable panel into the top of the tv. for cleaning i was just going to unscrew the back of the tv off, its held on by 5 screws, and just pull the tank out.

Hi,

Yes it does work and it was a "vogue" thing in the late 1960's.

I did my apprenticeship at PHILIPS in Naenae and I got a regect cabinet and got the guys in the woodworking shop to modify the top so that it hinged upwards from the back. I also had the back braced where the cover panel goes on.

I didnt go to LEXAN 'cause it werent around then so just built a tank to fit tightly into the cabinet.

The picture tube escutcheon was carefully cut to have it sit flat on the tank front and the speaker grill was modified so as it could be removed to get to a small tank that I reared my livebearer fry in.

Great memories, that was forty years ago and I still have fish, :D , except now its about that many tanks.

Go for it, but remember to keep some weight in the base to stop it tipping over.

• 1 month later...

My mother spent 15yrs promsing to turn our old TV into a fish tank. But it got dropped in a move before the tube died, pity... I would have loved to see it actually happen. (I spent years trying to kill that TV! I'd switch it on and off all the time trying to blow the tube.) Finally got my first fish tank for my 25th and MTS has firmly taken hold. :bounce:

• 2 months later...

Another idea I just thought of.

Get a BetaMax or VHS, and convert it to an aquarium light, cut hole in top of TV (which provides access too) and put the BetaMax on top to cover and light :)

Hardest bit will be getting the front glass, acrylic I imagine to get the right curves..