Fish Only Systems

Aquatopia

My son is, he's at Uni also, however he has been unable to resist & a few frags are starting to accumulate in his tank, despite him saying he would not be bothered with corals :D

His tank is not up to sps standards however most of the softies and lps he has put in are doing nicely. For most FO tanks, there will be some corals out there that will live in them and do make the tank more interesting.

My son is, he's at Uni also, however he has been unable to resist & a few frags are starting to accumulate in his tank, despite him saying he would not be bothered with corals

is that the same son who didn't like marines a couple years back (cichlids only please) and if marine then only ever fish and never corals. or do you have two sons? :D

Same guy Cookie, same tank you saw also. :lol:

He simply sold the ciclids, put in salt water, and one FO system, slowly turning into a reef :lol:

Next year he'll be qualified and able to earn some good money, I suspect we will be seeing a good sized well equipped tank, although he is wanting to get a house first.

Sort of,

I have a 600L tank plumbed into my reef system and intend it to be a fish only system, or nearly so anyway (possibly also some spare bits from reef that don't require much light and I don't care if get eaten). So far only has a flame damsel and an emperor angel.

Steve

i like colouring when they turn adults better

So do I. I am planning to get a photographic record of it as it changes. I am not sure how long that will take but with it's bottomless appetite, not unlike it's cousin across the room, it is doing it's best.

Steve

They are similar to the reticulated butterfly's in that for best chance of survival, you need to be able to spare a few coral polyps.

Layton

More than a few. :o I got a Latticed Butterfly last week as a test to see if I could sustain one and then go for something a bit more exotic. Well, this thing is terrorizing my system. My previously awesome polyp extension is null and there are actually some corals with serious tissue missing, i.e. it is actually starting doing some VERY serious damage and I am going to get him out of there ASAP. My guess is that you need a very large tank with a lot of very large SPS to sustain. I am definitely not at that stage yet. :(

Cool fish and awesome for FO. He does eat prepared food, but CONTINUALLY grazes on SPS polyps as well. As of yet, he hasn't touched any of my few LPS, but I wouldn't trust him. Anyone with an FO interested, let me know. He will be going for a very good price.

I temporarily housed a banded butterfly in my frag tank, with the damage he did in only one day, I had to get him out. Even ate mushrooms that were 3 cm or so across, amazing appetite.

He is a great fish in a FO though, very friendly & nearly jumps out of the water to grab food from your fingers. Non aggresive to other fish, just a shame he can't go in a reef.