Guppy's tail going!

Caper

I don't know if you can tell what kind of guppy this is...but I think this is the third one like this that I have lost...it's been awhile but I'm pretty sure the other 2 were very similar. Is this kind of guppy known for this???

I noticed yesterday that his tail fin was "disintegrating" so I started treating with Melafix. I don't know if it's going to work :(:( He did eat today when fed but all evening he has been staying at the top of the tank. The bubbles at the top are a result from when I added the melafix. I don't know if it is fin rot or not as the tip of his tail wasn't white like I've read about. Any ideas??? Could it be too late already for him :(

DSC01229.jpg

He seems to be doing better...the tail seems to have stopped "disintegrating"...and he is swimming around more, as opposed to staying at the top of the tank.

Tomorrow will be day 7 of treating with the Melafix, I know I have to do a 25% water change on Friday. On the bottle it says, you can treat again but I don't know if I should or not...any recommendations/opions would be GREATLY appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

from the nipps I have had taken out of my guppies tails I can say that yes the colour does come back but if it had any spots or pattern in his tail it may not be the same as it was before and I have found that the tail normaly comes back with a rough edge. Not a smooth edge (unless he had a rough edge before). But yes it comes through clear then the colour comes through after.

Cheers :D

Glad to hear that hes doing fine again.

Hi caper

I have two tiger barbs - One I just got for my other lonely little psychiatric barb. The poor wee thing is nearly finless as the other fat barb is having his fins for snacks all day. I hope they grow back :oops: Does anyone know If there are six barbs will that be enough to stop this attacks? or should I just feed these two to my bad jewel? :oops:

I'm glad your fish is getting better - all the fins I've seen have grown back if needs be. Do you think the melafix did the trick then?