Peppered Cory Babies Problem

Dark

I had a spawning of Corydorus aeneus about 6 weeks ago, and the babies have been growing up nicely, with minimal losses - they are about 12mm long now

Yesterday I came home to about 10 dead ones floating on the surface of the water, and a few live ones doing the same...

The ammonia levels were a bit high (15 - 25 ppm) so i did a water change and got the levels back down below 15ppm - i think this happened because i changed the filter in the tank...

but i noticed that some of them were still floating up to the surface this morning.

I recently started feeding them ground flake, until now they have been on a soul diet of microworms and baby daphnia - don't know if this makes them more buoyant?

Any ideas what could be causing them to float to the surface/die?

Did you just swap the filter in one go or did you let them both run for a few days to build up bacteria? In BB tanks the cycle might start all over with a sponge filter swap. Keep in mind that ammo-burn is pretty serious gill damage so they may still be feeling the effects from the spike yesterday that prolly killed the other ones. Work on establishing a proper cycle again?

well i have the N problem under control now, so we'll see if that has any bearing on the numbers dying

i'm still concerned about the ones floating to the surface that are alive - they try to swim down to the bottom again, but just float back up to the surface - i noticed this long before the N problem, it is just more prevailent now, and i am concerned that the N spike may not have effected them at all considering i got to it quickly