Yay new Pleco's...

CatBrat

I got my new pair of pleco's today (I got them sent up from Tropical Blues in Tirau) :D. Im not too sure about what exact species they are at the moment, but I think they maybe real L270 (but could be L199 or something). But the good thing is that they are definatly a pair (the females around 8-9cm, with them male around 6-7cm).

Anyway, here are a couple of pic's (the first 2 were sent to me from TB)...

Male:

L199male-1copy.jpg

Female:

L199female-2copy.jpg

ResizeL199-1copy.jpg

Resizel199-2copy.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality of my pics.

Cheers, CatBrat.

Well I will have to get them to spawn first, and thats by no means a guarantee hehe. But If I do manage to breed them I will most probably be selling the babies.

I didn't go down there, I got them to send them up to me. They bagged them up, put them in a poly box, and then sent them up overnight. You should e-mail them and ask what they have.

Cheers, CatBrat.

At 10:12 i said that i will try and breed my Queen Arabs. Well after saying that i went to have a look at them/Feed them!!!

Guess what :D

The male and female are in a cave 'together' :lol: :lol:

Hope it works.I started the procedure 3 days ago but didn't expect them to do anything for some time!!!

Fingers crossed!!! :roll:

Oh well at least that some action. Is the male fanning?

Yea I had thought that they looked different to the ones that kyle has, they have much strighter lines too. Much more like L199 than L270, but wait and see if the pattern changes as they get bigger.

When I had mine they absolutely loved Bloodworms! When they died (heater malfunction, ended up cooking them :cry: :cry:) the females were full of eggs. That made losing them even worse! Also twice a week I gave them sum veggies, such as Zucchini or pea's which they finished off over nite! That surprised me because Hypancistrus spp. are more of a carnivorous type of plec, but they really went for the veggies!

So maybe try some frozen foods and make sure you offer them some veggies. Also try dropping a whole frozen cocktail shrimp into the tank and see if they go for that. Many of my plec's enjoy them! But make sure you remove them daily because they will go off and foul the water.

They get blood worms, and other frozen foods, and they get shrimp pellets so its looking good. When i first got them, they had sunken bellies and they wouldnt eat anythang. I lost one because of this at first. Now they are doing good and my L199(!!) are really nice and full.

hey Catbrat,

nice plecos! and nice pictures too!

they are very cool, makes me miss mine. I'm going on a fish shop jaunt on monday, one country road with about 10 fish shops! one of the good things about living in England! and the fancy plecos are so much cheaper here. unfortunately i am homeless and broke, so not about to set up a tank (or ten for all the fancy plecos i am going to want!), but one day i will get back into it!

good luck with breeding them!

plecs