Where do I get apple snails from?

buttons31

I have had fish before but want to try tropicals. Am in the process of setting up a tank. I have fallen in love with snails of all things. Especially the apple ones. Can you buy them in Auckland and where abouts?

Any other suggestions for kool snails or fish that are compatible gratfully accepted.

how do I find this person? I am new to this site so still learning my wat around.

I have two outdoor ponds with lots of plants and large amounts of oxygen weed growing wild around them lol. Plants are not a problem.

Also have some ramshorns at present plus am collecting some spirals on sunday.

Hi buttons31!

A warm welcome to the forums! :D

To PM [Private Message] someone:

- You click on "You have no new messages" (Top Right of browser) and then on the "New Post" button.

- Specify who you want to send the message to - in your and this particular case it would be: livebearer_breeder

- Enter a topic and then the text.

- Wait for a reply.

As simple as that :)

Good luck finding the snails you're after :bounce:

Hope that helps,

Dan

PS: Also, I don't think it is such a good idea to share your address and contact details on the internet - this is a forum that can be read by anyone online. If the details you are using as your signature are actually your private contact details I would probably remove them. I am sure every member of the forum appreciates your honest nature but unfortunately there's also dishonest people on the internet and they don't have to be registered members to view the forum. Just a thought... :)

Hello buttons, glad to see you've gotten a warm welcome from everyone so far :) Love the people and the help they give on this forum, aye?

Good luck finding apple snails, they're an interesting creature but can destroy all your plants and even heard of them devouring the occasional sleeping fish... that's pretty rare, though.

I noticed you said you're getting "spirals" on Sunday? If these are what I think they are, we often call them Malaysian live-bearers or the like. Just a note of caution - if these snails get in your tank, you will have to go to the ends of the earth to get rid of them. My advice is to stay away from all snails aside from ramshorns and the larger snails unless they hitch a ride on plants or decoration which you can't avoid. Not all snails are good snails!

Peanuts- have that site thx. That is where I saw the golden ones that I am interested in.

Lindyloo- they are trumpets I think. Got about 20 off trade me.

Blue and kim- Have two very large ponds outside with a stream and bridge between. Have a photo so will try and put it on here. The snails are for the outside ponds and the ones I am getting have come from outside. Have lots of plants for them plus 4 large goldfish in the bottom pond and an axolotyl in the top. Don't think I'll have a problem with the population getting too big lol.

Thanks for the great advice though everyone. Got my tank today, got it all going and set up. Only problem was got it half filled and we ran out of water. (tank supply) Just my luck!!!

me and my brother went to a lfs once, and he wanted to get some apple snails. the staff member advised him not to get it because it will eat up all the plants. my brother insist and guess what? yup, within the next day all plants were destroyed.

there is another way to have lots of plants in the tank without having apple snails demolish them. FAKE PLANTS lol :lol:

I saw those snails advertised but I am in Auckland. lol Managed to get 2 today from my local shop. Think they are both males though.

I have some algae chips and most of the snails seem to like these. So far have about 25 snails (3 different sorts) and all the plants are doing fine. Gonna start putting most of them outside in the next week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

It was great to be well warned first. Have two female apple snails. They were about the size of a 10 cent piece two weeks ago and are now the size of golf balls. Boys do they grow fast.

So far so good with the plants. The destroyed one but have left the others alone. I hand feed them each day. Figured if they weren't so hungry the plants would have a better chance.

The love the fish pellets.

hi Buttons

They will also love carrot, just chop a chunk and throw it in the tank. It is also a good idea to give them the calcium blocks for turtles, they need a lot of calcium to keep their shell healthy, and you will see them sucking on those too.

They are amazing, have yours laid any eggs yet?

Enjoy them,

plecs